How do you approach lectures and learning the material?

In summary: I'm studying an intense physics/engineering program in terms of workload. Our main form of learning new material in school is through lectures. Something that I've noticed about lectures is that I feel like I'm not learning a lot from them right there, in the moment. Instead I learn / comprehend most of the material afterwards when I take the time to try to make sense of it on my own.The structure of a lecture is usually that the teacher first introduces a concept and then a short time later moves onto building on top of that concept when you're still thinking about the original idea. But since the teacher has moved onto the next topic you have to drop what you are thinking about and try to take notes/comprehend
physics4two
Hey everyone. I'd like to share some thoughts on a problem that I have because I think it would be interesting to hear how others peoples thoughts on the problem.

I'm studying an intense physics/engineering program in terms of workload. Our main form of learning new material in school is through lectures. Something that I've noticed about lectures is that I feel like I'm not learning a lot from them right there, in the moment. Instead I learn / comprehend most of the material afterwards when I take the time to try to make sense of it on my own.

The structure of a lecture is usually that the teacher first introduces a concept and then a short time later moves onto building on top of that concept when you're still thinking about the original idea. But since the teacher has moved onto the next topic you have to drop what you are thinking about and try to take notes/comprehend what the lecturer is saying about the new stuff. Therefor my experience has been that a lot of times in lectures, it feels as if I'm just writing down words and symbols without meaning and that creates this intense feeling of boredom even though I might be interested in the topic the lecturer presents.
The root of my problem though, I realize, is probably that I'm coming unprepared to lectures. And this is something that I will fix and experiment with. But in this realization I thought it would be interesting to hear how other people approach lectures? To hear what can be learned from those who have already tried.
What works for you?

Kind regards, physics4two

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the course's syllabus. Study each "lecture" material BEFORE the class meeting which in it is presented. ALSO if possible, begin studying THE COURSE before the instructional term begins!

Likes troglodyte, physics4two and WWGD
I always found that the key for me was to listen intently to whatever was said in lecture, then go do all of the homework. If I could do that well, I rarely needed to look at the textbook.

Likes physics4two
physics4two said:
Our main form of learning new material in school is through lectures.

This is a frequent misconception. In my experience, most professors assign reading from the textbook or some other introduction to the material prior to the lecture. They also assign readings and homework after the lecture. Most physics courses are open and up front about requiring 2-3 hours of student effort outside of class for each class hour.

In most cases, students depending on the lecture as the "main form of learning new material" are usually showing up to class unprepared. Most professors don't design their use of class time ("lectures") to be the "main form of learning new material." In contrast, they design their use of class time to supplement the other assignments (reading, homework, assigned problems, labs, etc.) so that the complete picture supports student learning.

You're not in high school any more. Grow up. Own your learning. Do everything the instructor assigns. If that leaves you short, don't complain, find supplementary material on the internet or elsewhere, make use of tutors provided by your school, go ask questions during your prof's office hours.

Until you own the fact that whether or not you learn is on YOU and not on any other person, you are not ready for adult life, much less majoring in physics or engineering.

• Love
Likes troglodyte, Saph, physics4two and 2 others
I have conveyed that sentiment many, many, times, but I never said it that well.

Likes physics4two and berkeman
physics4two said:
The root of my problem though, I realize, is probably that I'm coming unprepared to lectures. And this is something that I will fix and experiment with. But in this realization I thought it would be interesting to hear how other people approach lectures?
You already know what you have to do, but you need to find what works well for you here. This requires experimentation.

For example: I never took notes in lectures. I tried, but I found that it only distracted me from what was being said and I tended to never go back to them. Others learn by also writing things down.

Dr. Courtney said:
In my experience, most professors assign reading from the textbook or some other introduction to the material prior to the lecture. They also assign readings and homework after the lecture. Most physics courses are open and up front about requiring 2-3 hours of student effort outside of class for each class hour.
This is the common practice in the US, with which I am familiar. From my reading here, in at least some other countries, no textbook is explicitly required and reading assignments are not given. Students are expected to supplement the lectures as they deem necessary, either from a suggested list of supplementary textbooks or from their own searches.

@physics4two, perhaps you could see fit to tell us which country you're studying in? I understand that you might not want to do that, for privacy reasons.

Likes Joshy
Thanks to everyone who has replied and given input. Much appreciated.

jtbell said:
This is the common practice in the US, with which I am familiar. From my reading here, in at least some other countries, no textbook is explicitly required and reading assignments are not given. Students are expected to supplement the lectures as they deem necessary, either from a suggested list of supplementary textbooks or from their own searches.

@physics4two, perhaps you could see fit to tell us which country you're studying in? I understand that you might not want to do that, for privacy reasons.

I'm from Sweden and the picture you are describing pretty much sums it up. In general we don't have any required readings before lectures. Though teachers are very clear on how much time should be dedicated to working on the material, which are similar figures to what Dr. Courtney said.

physics4two said:
I'm from Sweden and the picture you are describing pretty much sums it up. In general we don't have any required readings before lectures. Though teachers are very clear on how much time should be dedicated to working on the material, which are similar figures to what Dr. Courtney said.

Thanks for clarifying. In hindsight, I see that my original response assumed an American-like course organization and structure. I apologize for making that errant assumption.

Orodruin said:
For example: I never took notes in lectures. I tried, but I found that it only distracted me from what was being said and I tended to never go back to them. Others learn by also writing things down.

I like the idea of focusing more on the lectures and not taking notes, but I've been cautious towards making the switch. How did you make sure that you didn't miss/forget concepts that's been covered in class.

Also I would be really interested to hear more about your general approach to lectures, as it seems to be different from my own.

physics4two said:
I'm from Sweden and the picture you are describing pretty much sums it up. In general we don't have any required readings before lectures.
That the reading is not required does not mean that you would not benefit from doing it. It is very easy to slack off and not read up beforehand, but you should try it to see if it helps your learning. The complete opposite, just going to the lectures and then study hard in the last week before the exam is far too common and detrimental to long time learning in most cases.

physics4two said:
I like the idea of focusing more on the lectures and not taking notes, but I've been cautious towards making the switch. How did you make sure that you didn't miss/forget concepts that's been covered in class.
I am certainly not advocating that approach for everyone. In order for it to work, you need to be able to learn and understand things on the fly. You need to experiment with your own learning style and evaluate the results, then you need to keep doing what you find works for you.

Personally, I was one of those pesky annoying kids that had an easy time retaining the information that I was presented, the subjects often came naturally to me and therefore I mostly had an easy time following lectures. I experimented with taking lecture notes when I started university and everybody said you had to do this and that to be successful. When it did not work for me, I went back to what had been working and it still worked pretty well.

physics4two said:

Also I would be really interested to hear more about your general approach to lectures, as it seems to be different from my own.

My usual recommendation is for students to write down at least everything the professor writes on the board. And when the professor is working example problems, write down as much additional information as you think you would need to solve a similar problem if asked on homework or on a test.

Especially in courses where there is no required textbook or where the homework and the tests are more strongly based on the classroom presentation than on the textbook, having a good set of notes to refer to is critical. In most physics courses, the notes and the text are key resources for solving homework problems. In preparing for tests, the notes, the text, and properly solved homework problems are the key resources.

Eliminating key study resources does not seem like a path to success for most students.

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint
Orodruin said:
I experimented with taking lecture notes when I started university and everybody said you had to do this and that to be successful. When it did not work for me, I went back to what had been working and it still worked pretty well.

Fair enough! Thanks for the reply.

Likes berkeman
My experience in the US (more than 20 years ago) was that there was no required reading before the lecture, and new concepts were first introduced in lecture. Lecturers I liked (which were the majority) either followed a textbook very closely, or provided superb notes, so that one could revisit the material after lecture (without any note taking during the lecture). There was also weekly homework. It was essential to start working on homework almost immediately after each lecture, ie about one week before it was due for grading, no last minute work. Being able to do the homework well was how one made sure that one's understanding was at the level that would enable one to benefit from the ongoing lectures. The lecturer and teaching assistants were available outside of lecture hours for questions on the lecture material or hints on how to do the homework. Homework was graded weekly which provided feedback on how well we were keeping up in our understanding of the course material. Roughly, homework was worth about 30% of the final grade, mid-term exams 30%, and the final exam 30%.

Last edited:
Likes troglodyte
atyy,

Great system you described. The problem for some students is that they are weaker than average, and then to get average GRADES earned, they need to work HARDER than average. One way I suggested earlier in this topic is to refer to the course syllabus and study ahead, instead of waiting until just after the lecture to read the just-now-lectured material.

Likes atyy
I guess you are asking something personal about how we all learn and I can only tell you how I learned physics in college. You mentioned main form of learning new material is not through lectures.

I feel the main form of learning new material was through the homework.
We had recitation sections going over homework, but I found I learned more doing homework than going over it. I still think those recitation sections were valuable.
Laboratories were also important because it showed physics concepts were not just made up constructions but had real existence and applications.

I know there were times when in lectures I felt that information was passing from my professor and his blackboard, in through the eye; out the arm, and onto the page of paper with no thought in-between. However, I think that this primed the brain for work that would go on after class. I had my own set of rules for lectures, but I think most successful students share these principles.1. If the professor (or even a student) writes it down on the blackboard; it belongs in the notes.
2. Many of the best professors do not rely on a textbook and teach from their own notes. This was especially true in Quantum Mechanics. One professor that instructed me was so well organized, and developed such a reputation that classes in QM the taught previously offered to sell (I believe) his legendary QM notes. His notes were better than any textbooks. In his notes, he even cited several textbooks for references.
3. I knew of students who did not go to many lectures; did not do homework if it wasn't graded or graded lightly; and relied on test grades if they counted heavily. To a person, I do not know if they were successful in passing the particular class, I do know they were underrepresented in achieving their degree.
4. I was the first generation in my family that went to college. It is a privilege. You or some resource is paying for you to have the opportunity to learn from a professor. (See next point)
5. I will never forget some of what was said during my first mathematics lecture in college; my first physics lecture in college; or the day as a sophomore, the professor tied all the electricity and magnetism learned throughout September/October by Maxwell's equations. There were other high points that I remember from the lecture, like the November day, in 1974, my freshman physics teacher (a particle physicist) told me about the charm-anticharm bound state, that was just discovered. (These inspirational moments can mean more than the presentation of the material you can get in any textbook)

Likes atyy and physics4two

1. How do you prepare for a lecture?

Before a lecture, I make sure to review any previous material and familiarize myself with the topic that will be covered. I also like to create an outline or notes to follow during the lecture.

2. How do you take notes during a lecture?

I usually take notes by hand, as it helps me to better retain the information. I also try to summarize key points and use diagrams or charts to help me understand complex concepts.

3. How do you stay engaged and focused during a lecture?

To stay engaged during a lecture, I make sure to actively listen and participate by asking questions or taking part in discussions. I also try to relate the material to real-life examples to keep myself interested.

4. How do you review and reinforce the material after a lecture?

After a lecture, I like to review my notes and fill in any gaps in my understanding. I also try to quiz myself or create flashcards to help reinforce the material. Additionally, I make sure to complete any assigned readings or practice problems.

5. How do you approach learning difficult or challenging material?

When faced with difficult material, I break it down into smaller, more manageable chunks and try to understand the underlying concepts. I also seek help from professors or classmates and use additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials.