Why Is the Electric Potential the Same for Inner and Outer Semi-Circles?

cherry
Homework Statement
Two semicircular rods and two short, straight rods are joined in the configuration shown. The rods carry a charge of λ = 55C/m. The radii are R1 = 4.3 m and R2 = 9.5 m.

Calculate the potential at the centre of this configuration (point P). Please note that there are also charges on the straight segments.
Relevant Equations
V = kλ ln[r + l / r]
V = kq / r
I solved using the formulae listed in the relevant equations and got the right answer.
However, I noticed something strange to me.
The electric potential due to the inner semi-circle was equal to that due to the outer semi-circle.
But based on the formula for calculating V, we notice that there is "r" involved.
So shouldn't the electric potential be different?

Physics news on Phys.org
My professor gave a hint saying to "utilize spherical symmetry" but I still don't understand why they would be equal.

cherry said:
the configuration shown.
?

• Love
Likes Delta2
haruspex said:
?
Hi! Sorry, I forgot to upload the picture. For some reason, I am not getting the settings to upload a photo. So here is a Google Drive image of the diagram.

cherry said:
Homework Statement: Two semicircular rods and two short, straight rods are joined in the configuration shown. The rods carry a charge of λ = 55C/m. The radii are R1 = 4.3 m and R2 = 9.5 m.

Calculate the potential at the centre of this configuration (point P). Please note that there are also charges on the straight segments.
Relevant Equations: V = kλ ln[r + l / r]
V = kq / r

The electric potential due to the inner semi-circle was equal to that due to the outer semi-circle.
The qualitative explanation is that the inner semi-circle has smaller radius but has smaller semi-circumference too, so smaller total charge. It happens that the total charge of each of the two semi-circumference , is equal to ##q_1=\pi \lambda r_1##, ##q_2=\pi \lambda r_2## while the potentials (at center) are ##V_1=K\frac{q_1}{r_1}## and ##V_2=K\frac{q_2}{r_2}## , so you can see that each of the radius ##r_1,r_2## gets simplified when calculating the potentials and leave just ##\pi K\lambda## in both cases

So whenever there are concentric circles, the electric potential is the same?
Delta2 said:
The qualitative explanation is that the inner semi-circle has smaller radius but has smaller semi-circumference two, so smaller total charge. It happens that the total charge of each of the two semi-circumference , is equal to ##q_1=\pi \lambda r_1##, ##q_2=\pi \lambda r_2## while the potentials (at center) are ##V_1=K\frac{q_1}{r_1}## and ##V_2=K\frac{q_2}{r_2}## , so you can see that each of the radius ##r_1,r_2## gets simplified when calculating the potentials and leave just ##\pi K\lambda## in both cases
Oh, so whenever there are concentric circles with different radii, the electric potential is the same across all circles?

Likes Delta2
cherry said:
So whenever there are concentric circles, the electric potential is the same?

Oh, so whenever there are concentric circles with different radii, the electric potential is the same across all circles?
Yes. given that all concentric circles carry the same linear charge density ##\lambda##.

And also I think this holds only for the potential at the center of the configuration.

Delta2 said:
Yes. given that all concentric circles carry the same linear charge density ##\lambda##.

And also I think this holds only for the potential at the center of the configuration.
Got it, thank you!

Likes Delta2

1. Why is the electric potential the same for inner and outer semi-circles?

The electric potential is the same for inner and outer semi-circles because the electric potential at a point is a scalar quantity that depends only on the distance from the source charge, not on the direction. Since the inner and outer semi-circles are equidistant from the source charge, they will have the same electric potential.

2. How does the symmetry of the semi-circles affect the electric potential?

The symmetry of the semi-circles ensures that the electric potential is the same for both the inner and outer semi-circles. This symmetry simplifies the calculation of the electric potential and allows us to conclude that the potential is constant along the semi-circles.

3. Does the shape of the semi-circles affect the electric potential?

No, the shape of the semi-circles does not affect the electric potential as long as they are equidistant from the source charge. The electric potential depends only on the distance from the source charge, not on the shape of the surface.

4. How does the distance from the source charge affect the electric potential along the semi-circles?

The electric potential decreases with increasing distance from the source charge. Since the inner and outer semi-circles are equidistant from the source charge, they will have the same electric potential. However, if one semi-circle is closer to the source charge than the other, it will have a higher electric potential.

5. Can the electric potential be different for inner and outer semi-circles in certain scenarios?

Yes, the electric potential can be different for inner and outer semi-circles if they are at different distances from the source charge. In general, the electric potential decreases with increasing distance from the source charge, so the semi-circle closer to the source charge will have a higher potential than the one farther away.