Electron in a Finite Square Well

In summary, an electron in a finite square well has 6 distinct energy levels. To determine the depth of the finite square well, a transcendental equation needs to be solved, resulting in a range of possible values from V0=0.0237eV to V0=0.0333eV. To find the energy of an electron in the n=3 state, the average of these values can be used. However, the textbook uses the equation En=n^2*π^2*ℏ^2/2mL^2 which does not take the potential into account. It is recommended to follow the calculations from the referred site to obtain the six possible eigen states.
Potatochip911

Homework Statement

An electron in a finite square well has 6 distinct energy levels. If the finite square well is 10nm long determine:

a) Approximate the possible values for the depth of the finite square well ##V_0##.
b) Using a well depth value in the middle of the results obtained from part a) find the energy when the electron is in the ##n=3## state.
c) For the ##n=3## state determine the un-normalized wave function
d)For ##-20nm<x<20nm## draw the ##n=3## wave function
e) For ##-20nm<x<20nm## draw the probability function

Homework Equations

##-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2\psi(x)}{dx^2}+V(x)\psi(x)=E\psi(x)##

The Attempt at a Solution

Part a) of the question is somewhat tedious and involves solving transcendental equations, I essentially just followed how they solved it on this site which gave me the the possible range for the depth of the finite square well to be ##V_0=0.0237eV## to ##V_0=0.0333eV##

Now for part b), taking the average of these gives ##V_0=0.0285eV## although I'm not sure how I can use this to find the energy of the electron in the n=3 state. In my textbook they seem to use the equation ##E_n=n^2\frac{\pi^2\hbar^2}{2mL^2}## which doesn't seem to mention the potential at all.

plot.PNG

From the plot I've listed the coordinates of the n=3 intersection in case that's useful. The lines are: ##y=-\mbox{cot}(x)##, ##y=\tan(x)##, and ##y=\sqrt{(\frac{8.648}{x})^2-1}## where ##8.648=\mu=L\sqrt{\frac{2m}{\hbar^2}V_0}##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Potatochip911 said:
Part a) of the question is somewhat tedious and involves solving transcendental equations, I essentially just followed how they solved it on this site which gave me the the possible range for the depth of the finite square well to be V0=0.0237eVV0=0.0237eVV_0=0.0237eV to V0=0.0333eVV0=0.0333eVV_0=0.0333eV

Now for part b), taking the average of these gives V0=0.0285eVV0=0.0285eVV_0=0.0285eV although I'm not sure how I can use this to find the energy of the electron in the n=3 state. In my textbook they seem to use the equation En=n2π2ℏ22mL2En=n2π2ℏ22mL2E_n=n^2\frac{\pi^2\hbar^2}{2mL^2} which doesn't seem to mention the potential at all.

Well i saw your refereed treatment and i think its exact and Transcendental equations are are not a problem as it solves graphically the two relations obtained from applying the boundary conditions at the walls of the well-
As you wish to have six possible eigen states the well depth will have a bounding value that you have to calculate and taking half does not mean thay one can get the three-
The above calculations are well known in case of nuclear potentials also-say deutreron in a finite well - however if well depth is large compared to energies involved then approximations can be made giving simpler results for energy values.
my advise is to follow your referred site-

Likes Potatochip911

1. What is an electron in a finite square well?

An electron in a finite square well is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of an electron confined in a 1-dimensional potential well. It is characterized by a finite width and depth, and the electron is considered to be in a bound state within this well.

2. How is the potential energy in a finite square well defined?

The potential energy in a finite square well is defined as a constant value within the boundaries of the well, and zero outside of the well. This creates a potential barrier that confines the electron within the well.

3. What is the significance of the finite square well model?

The finite square well model is used to study the behavior of electrons in confined systems, which has important applications in nanotechnology and materials science. It also helps to understand the principles of quantum mechanics, such as wave-particle duality and energy quantization.

4. How does the energy of an electron in a finite square well compare to that of a free electron?

The energy of an electron in a finite square well is quantized, meaning it can only take on certain discrete values. This is in contrast to a free electron, which has a continuous energy spectrum. Additionally, the energy levels in a finite square well are dependent on the width and depth of the well, whereas a free electron's energy is not confined by a potential well.

5. How is the Schrödinger equation used to describe an electron in a finite square well?

The Schrödinger equation, a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics, is used to determine the allowed energy levels and wave function of an electron in a finite square well. By solving this equation, we can calculate the probability of finding the electron at different energies and positions within the well.