Semi-infinite string with a mass on the free end

• Thread starter raving_lunatic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass String
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the amplitude and phase of reflected waves when transverse waves propagate through a semi-infinite string with a mass affixed to the free end. The person asking for help has attempted to set up boundary conditions and is unsure if they are correct. They are particularly concerned about how to take into account the fixed end and free end of the string. The responder suggests placing the fixed end at -∞ and the mass at x=0 to simplify the problem.
raving_lunatic

Homework Statement

Hi! This is probably going to be a silly question, but I think I just need someone to point out my obvious mistake so I can go back and solve it properly.

A semi-infinite string of density ρ and tension T has a mass affixed to the free end which is constrained to move transversely. Determine the amplitude and phase of reflected waves when transverse waves of the form A exp [i(wt-kx)] propogate through the string.

Homework Equations

Yxx = Ytt/c2

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I attempted to set up some boundary conditions, but I'm really not sure if they're correct. I said that the waves on the string will obey:

y = A exp [i(wt-kx)] + Ar exp [i(wt+kx)]

i.e. some initial train and then a reflected train.

Then I decided that the boundary conditions could be written as

y(0,t) = 0 (the end at x = 0 is fixed)

yx(∞,t) = (m/T)(ytt)

i.e. applying Newton's Second Law to the mass that is constrained to oscillate in the transverse direction.

Now I can see that the problem might be easy to solve if the second boundary condition can be applied alone (it gives us a direct relation between A and Ar, which is what we want) but the first boundary condition is problematic. It implies that A + Ar = 0, which gives us that the amplitudes are equal and the waves are in antiphase... but that will contradict what I get from the second boundary condition (and seems wrong because it doesn't depend on the mass). How do we take into account the fact that one of the ends is fixed? And, if this is not the case, what do they mean by "the free end"? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Place the fixed end at -∞ and the mass at x=0. Don't worry what happens at -∞.

Related to Semi-infinite string with a mass on the free end

1. What is a semi-infinite string with a mass on the free end?

A semi-infinite string with a mass on the free end is a one-dimensional object that extends infinitely in one direction and has a mass attached to one end. It is often used as a simplified model in physics and engineering to study the behavior of more complex systems.

2. What are the properties of a semi-infinite string with a mass on the free end?

The properties of a semi-infinite string with a mass on the free end include its length, mass, and stiffness. These properties determine how the string will vibrate and respond to external forces.

3. What is the equation of motion for a semi-infinite string with a mass on the free end?

The equation of motion for a semi-infinite string with a mass on the free end is a partial differential equation known as the wave equation. It describes how the string will vibrate and oscillate in response to initial conditions and external forces.

4. How is a semi-infinite string with a mass on the free end used in real-world applications?

Semi-infinite strings with a mass on the free end are commonly used in the study of musical instruments, such as guitars and pianos. They are also used in engineering to model structures like bridges and buildings, and in seismology to study earthquake waves.

5. What are the limitations of using a semi-infinite string with a mass on the free end as a model?

While a semi-infinite string with a mass on the free end can provide valuable insights and predictions, it is a simplified model and may not accurately represent the complexities of real-world systems. Additionally, it assumes certain ideal conditions, such as no friction or damping, which may not be present in practical applications.