Semiconductor Industry: What is it & Where Is It?

In summary, the term "semiconductor industry" does not have a specific definition, as it can refer to any company involved in the production of semiconductors. While companies like Google, YouTube, and Facebook can be considered part of the semiconductor industry due to their use of semiconductors, there are also hardware companies like Intel, IBM, and AMD that design and manufacture semiconductors. Most of these companies are located in San Jose and the surrounding areas of Silicon Valley, but some also have bases in other countries such as Germany, China, Taiwan, and Japan.
Ravian
i have a general question that I need to know to apply for jobs. What do we mean by "semiconductor industry"? and where is most of the semiconductor industry located? I know Silicon valley but according to my survery most of the industry there is like google, youtube, facebook etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
The word 'semiconductor industry' does not hold a definite meaning today. In a vague sense it has to do something with semiconductor to be a semiconductor industry. Thus google, youtube, facebook are also semiconductor industry, although more precisely they can be regarded as software industry.

I'm just assuming here that you are actually interested in hardware industry. Then you should look for companies like intel, IBM, AMD, HP, Tektronics, Analog Devices, Texas Instruments, Freescale Semi, On Semi, NXP Semi, Cadance, Synopsys, TSMC, UMC and numerous others. Some of them design and manufacture hardwares, some of them provides foundry services and others make EDA tools.

If I am not much wrong most of the companies have their base in San Jose and a few towns around the Silicon Valley. Others have bases in Germany, China, Taiwan or Japan.

Related to Semiconductor Industry: What is it & Where Is It?

What is the semiconductor industry?

The semiconductor industry refers to the production and distribution of electronic components made from semiconductor materials, such as silicon, germanium, and gallium arsenide. These components are used in various electronic devices, including computers, smartphones, and televisions.

How big is the semiconductor industry?

The semiconductor industry is a major global industry, with a market size of over $400 billion in 2020. It is expected to continue growing in the coming years due to the increasing demand for electronic devices.

Where is the semiconductor industry located?

The semiconductor industry is located in many countries around the world, with the majority of production taking place in Asia. Some of the leading countries include China, South Korea, Taiwan, and Japan. In the United States, major semiconductor companies are located in California, Texas, and Arizona.

What are the key players in the semiconductor industry?

Some of the key players in the semiconductor industry include Intel, Samsung Electronics, TSMC, and Micron Technology. These companies are involved in the design, manufacturing, and distribution of semiconductors.

What are the current trends in the semiconductor industry?

Some current trends in the semiconductor industry include the development of advanced technologies such as 5G, artificial intelligence, and Internet of Things (IoT). There is also a focus on increasing efficiency and reducing the size of electronic devices, as well as addressing environmental concerns through sustainable manufacturing processes.