Semiconductor polymers P3HT

In summary: The researchers conclude that the unifying requirement for high carrier mobility is the presence of aggregates that are interconnected, even if the aggregates are small and disordered. The key to designing high-mobility polymers is not an increased crystallinity but rather an enhanced tolerance to an inevitably large amount of molecular disorder within the aggregates by allowing more efficient intra- and intermolecular charge transport and transfer. This generalization explains the seemingly contradicting high performance of recently reported, poorly ordered polymers and suggests molecular design strategies to further improve the performance of future generations of organic electronic materials.
anni
TL;DR Summary
In Fact, I tried to understand the result (Figure 3) of a paper named "A general relationship between disorder, aggregation and charge transport in conjugated polymers", but because of some special concept I could not understand. would you please explain the result of Figure 3?
Thanks
"In the case of negligible paracrystallinity, the density of states (DOS) of the 1D pi-stack depends on the amount of on-site disorder generating a Gaussian tail of states extending into the bandgap (Fig. 3a). Typical pi-stacks of conjugated polymers exhibit moderate amounts of paracrystalline disorder (g >5%; see below). Under these conditions, the DOS of the aggregate is hardly affected by on-site disorder and is determined by the amount of paracrystallinity (Fig. 3c,d). The spatial extent of the calculated wavefunctions for the disordered stack (Fig. 3e-h) shows that disorder-induced states that lie deeper into the DOS tail are increasingly localized. Even states within the originally `delocalized band' become more localized with increasing paracrystallinity. In the limit of large positional disorder (g ~10%), the distinction between band and tail disappears: a single broad distribution of localized states with a monotonically decreasing DOS extends into the bandgap, reproducing well-known results of electronic structure theory of amorphous materials34,35. In the intermediate paracrystallinity regime (g ~3-7%) we observe a coexistence of localized and delocalized states, indicating that in paracrystalline aggregates charge is transported by a mechanism where mobile charge is temporarily trapped in localized states, akin to multiple trapping and release."

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    81.6 KB · Views: 286
Engineering news on Phys.org
There's many high-level concepts in there.
What's your background knowledge on this subject?

Dr_Nate said:
There's many high-level concepts in there.
What's your background knowledge on this subject?
polymers

anni said:
polymers
Do you understand the concepts of electronic band structures, density of states, and band gaps well?

Dr_Nate said:
Do you understand the concepts of electronic band structures, density of states, and band gaps well?

I read about band gap and DOS.

DOS: The density of state function describes the number of states that are available in a system and is essential for determining the carrier concentration and energy distributions of carriers within a semiconductors.

I did not understand : One-site disordered Localization length Eigenstates of the disordered Hamiltonian
If you can kindly tell me about the concept and refer me to a book or paper I appreciate it.

To truly understand this stuff you're going to need a course in quantum mechanics to start to understand wave functions.
anni said:
I did not understand : One-site disordered Localization length Eigenstates of the disordered Hamiltonian
If you can kindly tell me about the concept and refer me to a book or paper I appreciate it.
I would need to read the paper to truly understand what's going on but I'll tell you what I think they've done. They've used quantum mechanics to solve a particular model that they made up. Localization length probably refers to a measure of how far the electron wave function's weight is distributed away from the lattice (or maybe atomic site).

Dr_Nate said:
To truly understand this stuff you're going to need a course in quantum mechanics to start to understand wave functions.

I would need to read the paper to truly understand what's going on but I'll tell you what I think they've done. They've used quantum mechanics to solve a particular model that they made up. Localization length probably refers to a measure of how far the electron wave function's weight is distributed away from the lattice (or maybe atomic site).
Thank you so much for your reply. I think that they wanted to show the effect of disorder in polymer structure on DOS. I did not understand what they concluded from that?
would you please explain more about localization length?
They want to show relationship between disorder/order and charge transfer in P3HT. They found that short-range order improve charge transfer.

You're going to have to read their conclusions for that.

There is not any conclusion part that explain specifically mention the result of this picture.

R. Noriega, J. Rivnay, K. Vandewal, F. P. V. Koch, N. Stingelin, P. Smith, M. F. Toney, A. Salleo, “A general relationship between disorder, aggregation and charge transport in conjugated polymers”, Nat. Mater., Advanced Online Publication (August 14, 2013), DOI: 10.1038/nmat3722
https://www-ssrl.slac.stanford.edu/.../science-highlights/pdf/conjugatedpolymer.pdf
OCR extract said:
The researchers conclude that the unifying requirement for high carrier mobility is the presence of aggregates that are interconnected, even if the aggregates are small and disordered. The key to designing high-mobility polymers is not an increased crystallinity but rather an enhanced tolerance to an inevitably large amount of molecular disorder within the aggregates by allowing more efficient intra- and intermolecular charge transport and transfer. This generalization explains the seemingly contradicting high performance of recently reported, poorly ordered polymers and suggests molecular design strategies to further improve the performance of future generations of organic electronic materials.

Maybe this discussion will be useful in understanding the paper;
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/08/130804144452.htm

1. What are semiconductor polymers P3HT?

Semiconductor polymers P3HT (poly-3-hexylthiophene) are a type of organic semiconductor material that have gained attention in recent years due to their potential use in electronic devices such as solar cells and transistors.

2. How are semiconductor polymers P3HT different from traditional semiconductors?

Semiconductor polymers P3HT are made from carbon-based molecules, making them different from traditional semiconductors which are typically made from inorganic materials such as silicon. This allows for more flexibility and potential for use in flexible and wearable devices.

3. What are the properties of semiconductor polymers P3HT?

Semiconductor polymers P3HT have a high degree of conjugation, meaning that the electrons in the material are able to move easily. They also have good electrical conductivity, high thermal stability, and are relatively inexpensive to produce.

4. How are semiconductor polymers P3HT used in electronic devices?

Semiconductor polymers P3HT can be used in various electronic devices such as solar cells, transistors, and sensors. They are typically used as the active layer in these devices, where they absorb light or carry electrical current.

5. What are the current challenges and future potential of semiconductor polymers P3HT?

One of the main challenges with semiconductor polymers P3HT is their relatively low efficiency compared to traditional semiconductors. However, ongoing research and development efforts are focused on improving their performance and stability. The potential for use in flexible and lightweight electronic devices makes them a promising area of study for future applications.