Semiconductors GaN, AlGaN -- Questions about abbreviations

In summary, "u" stands for undoped, and the C in the chemical abbreviation C:GaN and C:2E19 at/cm3 represents carbon. In AlN/Al0.1GaN, the 0.1 indicates that aluminum is a dopant in GaN at up to 10 at% concentration. In Al0.3Ga0.7N, the numbers represent atom percent, with 0.3 aluminum atoms and 0.7 gallium atoms for every nitrogen atom. However, the units of at/cm3 for the concentration of carbon in undoped u-GaN is confusing, and it may actually refer to the carrier concentration of 2E16 cm-3. These numbers are
Deleted member 655103
Hi, I have some chemical abbreviation which I do not understand. Please can you tell me what those abbreviations mean?

1. u-GaN 800nm (C:2E16 at/cm3) (I do not understand what "u" stands for; GaN is Gallium Nitride, 800 nm is thickness of layer, C is concentration of atoms per cm3 but I am not sure concentration of what?)

2. C:GaN 700nm (C:2E19 at/cm3) (what is C before GaN and again concentration 2E19 at/cm3 of what?)

3. AlN/Al0.1GaN 5/25 nm (I do not know what 0.1 in Al0.1GaN means; I know that 5nm is Alluminiu Nitride, 25nm Alluminium Gallium Nitride)

4. Al0.3Ga0.7N (what means 0.3 and 0.7? I think it means that 30% of Al and 70% of Ga, but what about N (nitrogen)? is it 50% of Nitrogen and from remaining 50% is 30%Al and 70% of Ga so over all 50%N, 15%Al, 35%Ga? Am I wrong?

Thanks for answers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
epsilonpi said:
u-GaN 800nm (C:2E16 at/cm3) (I do not understand what "u" stands for; GaN is Gallium Nitride, 800 nm is thickness of layer, C is concentration of atoms per cm3 but I am not sure concentration of what?)
"u" means undoped. The C:2E16 is the concentration of carbon atoms in the gallium nitride.
epsilonpi said:
2. C:GaN 700nm (C:2E19 at/cm3) (what is C before GaN and again concentration 2E19 at/cm3 of what?)
Again, C is carbon here.
epsilonpi said:
AlN/Al0.1GaN 5/25 nm (I do not know what 0.1 in Al0.1GaN means; I know that 5nm is Alluminiu Nitride, 25nm Alluminium Gallium Nitride)
This means that aluminum is a dopant in GaN at up to 10 at%.
epsilonpi said:
Al0.3Ga0.7N (what means 0.3 and 0.7? I think it means that 30% of Al and 70% of Ga, but what about N (nitrogen)? is it 50% of Nitrogen and from remaining 50% is 30%Al and 70% of Ga so over all 50%N, 15%Al, 35%Ga? Am I wrong?
Thanks for answers!
This is just basic stoichiometry, but presented in a way that may not be familiar from intro chemistry classes (the convention is, however, standard in solid state chemistry and physics). Pure GaN has one gallium atom for every nitrogen atom. Al0.3Ga0.7N has 0.3 aluminum atoms and 0.7 gallium atoms for every nitrogen, so in terms of atom percent, it's 50% N,15% Al, 35% Ga.

Likes epsilonpi
Thank you for your answer.
I am little bit confused why do we have concentration of Carbon in undoped u-GaN? There should be no Carbon or does it mean that even if it is clean GaN there is still some carbon present but we did not add it into GaN by purpose?

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I think I was wrong. I assume that the C:2E16 at/cm3 refers to the carrier concentration: so undoped GaN has no carbon in it, but the carrier concentration in this case would be 2E16 cm-3. What's throwing me off is the units of at/cm3, which implies an atomic dopant concentration, instead of a carrier concentration. Where are these numbers coming from?

Those numbers are parameters of layers in semiconductor parts. This is how they were fabricated. Thanks for your help.

epsilonpi said:
Those numbers are parameters of layers in semiconductor parts. This is how they were fabricated. Thanks for your help.
NB--The range of numbers (1016-1019) suggests an atomic dopant as well. Carrier concentrations tend to be 1012-1015 cm-3. You might check the supplier's data sheet on the semiconductor if you have it.

Likes epsilonpi

1. What is GaN and AlGaN?

GaN (Gallium Nitride) and AlGaN (Aluminium Gallium Nitride) are semiconductor materials commonly used in electronic devices. They have properties that make them suitable for high-power and high-frequency applications.

2. What does the abbreviation "GaN" stand for?

GaN stands for Gallium Nitride.

3. What is the difference between GaN and AlGaN?

The main difference between GaN and AlGaN is the addition of aluminium in AlGaN. This results in different electrical and optical properties, making AlGaN more suitable for certain applications such as ultraviolet light-emitting diodes (LEDs).

4. How are GaN and AlGaN used in electronic devices?

GaN and AlGaN are used in various electronic devices such as LEDs, power transistors, and high-frequency amplifiers. They are also being researched for use in next-generation technologies such as 5G communication and electric vehicles.

5. Are GaN and AlGaN safe for use in electronic devices?

Yes, GaN and AlGaN are safe for use in electronic devices. They are non-toxic and have been approved for use in consumer electronics by regulatory bodies such as the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the European Union's Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS) directive.