Semiconductors valence and energy bands

In summary, the valence band and conduction band overlap in conductors, allowing both bands to contribute to conductivity. However, in semiconductors and insulators, the bands do not overlap, resulting in only partial band occupation and therefore low conductivity. The conduction band is where electrons from the valence band jump to, typically with higher energy levels. It would be helpful to read some introductory texts on band structures for a better understanding.
gracy
valence band and conduction band overlap in conductors but not in semiconductors and insulators why?t

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, full bands give no contribution to conductivity, so if all bands are either full or empty, you get an insulator. To get a metal, (i.e. non-zero conductivity) some band has to be occupied only partially. Overlap of valence and conduction band is but one possibility. In this case, both valence and conduction band will contribute to conductivity. The other possibility is that the conduction band is not completely filled, without this being due to an overlap with the valence band.

DrDu said:
Well, full bands give no contribution to conductivity, so if all bands are either full or empty, you get an insulator. To get a metal, (i.e. non-zero conductivity) some band has to be occupied only partially. Overlap of valence and conduction band is but one possibility. In this case, both valence and conduction band will contribute to conductivity. The other possibility is that the conduction band is not completely filled, without this being due to an overlap with the valence band.
ok i have one more question
What exactly is conduction band?electrons from valence band jump into conduction band where they exactly go ,do they go to higher shell or subshell or orbital or stays in same place with more kinetic energy?

Please don't use bold fond for entire text. This is considered "shouting".
Maybe you can tell us something about the background of your question and about your educational background?

Likes gracy
actually yesterday my keyboard was not working .i had asked the same question on yahoo but didn't get the answer ,as my keyboard was not working i couldn't type so i copy pasted the question from my yahoo account to here .you must be knowing on yahoo question are wrriten in bold letters .but i am really sorry for that.
thanks

That's no problem.
I would recommend you to read some introductory text on band structures first. To recommend you some text it would be nice to know something about your educational background.

1. What are semiconductors?

Semiconductors are materials that have electrical conductivity between that of an insulator and a conductor. They are widely used in electronic devices such as computers, phones, and solar cells.

2. What is the valence band in semiconductors?

The valence band in semiconductors is the highest energy band that is fully occupied by electrons at absolute zero temperature. It is responsible for the electrical and optical properties of the material.

3. How does the energy band structure affect the conductivity of semiconductors?

The energy band structure of semiconductors determines their conductivity. The larger the band gap between the valence and conduction bands, the lower the conductivity. This is because electrons require more energy to jump from the valence band to the conduction band and become free to conduct electricity.

4. What is the difference between the valence band and the conduction band?

The valence band is the highest energy band that is fully occupied by electrons at absolute zero temperature, while the conduction band is the next highest energy band that is empty at absolute zero. Electrons in the conduction band are free to move and conduct electricity.

5. How do impurities affect the energy band structure of semiconductors?

Impurities can introduce extra energy levels within the band gap of semiconductors, creating new energy levels for electrons to occupy. This can change the conductivity of the material and make it either more conductive (n-type) or less conductive (p-type).