Semigroup partitions and Identity element

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of partitioning a semigroup S into two subsemigroups, S_1 and S_2, such that S_1 has a right-identity but S_2 has no identity element. The speaker suggests that if S_1 has a right-identity, then S_2 must have at least a left-identity. They base their proof on the observation that ab = (a1)b = a(1b) for a\in S_1 and b\in S_2. The speaker asks for confirmation of their proof.
mnb96
If I have a semigroup S, is it possible to partition the set of element S into two semigroups [tex]S_1[/tex] and [tex]S_2[/tex] (with [tex]S_1 \cap S_2 = 0[/tex]), in such a way that [tex]S_1[/tex] has an identity element but [tex]S_2[/tex] has none?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the orginal semigroup has an identity, yes! If your semigroup has an identity, but no element has an inverse, then taking S1 to be the identity only, S2 all other elements, works.

I should have been more specific:

- The semigroup S has no identity (it just satisfies associativity and closure)
- I want to partition S into [tex]S_1[/tex] and [tex]S_2[/tex] such that:
- [tex]S_1[/tex] is a subsemigroup and has a right-identity for itself
- [tex]S_2[/tex] is a subsemigroup but does not have any identity element

Is this situation possible at all?

If I worked out my proof correctly, then under those conditions, if [tex]S_1[/tex] had a right-identity, then [tex]S_2[/tex] must have at least a left-identity.

I based my proof on the observation: [tex]ab = (a1)b = a(1b)[/tex], with [tex]a\in S_1[/tex], [tex]b\in S_2[/tex]

I'd like to be confirmed to be right anyways.

What are semigroup partitions?

Semigroup partitions are a way of organizing elements within a semigroup. A semigroup is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements and a binary operation that combines any two elements in the set to produce a third element.

How are semigroup partitions created?

Semigroup partitions are created by grouping together elements of a semigroup based on a specific property or characteristic. This allows for a clearer understanding of the structure and behavior of the semigroup.

What is an identity element in a semigroup?

An identity element in a semigroup is an element that when combined with any other element in the semigroup using the binary operation, results in that same element. In other words, it acts as a neutral element in the semigroup.

Why is the identity element important in semigroup partitions?

The identity element is important in semigroup partitions because it helps to define the different partitions within the semigroup. It also allows for the creation of sub-semigroups, which can be useful in understanding the overall structure of the semigroup.

What are the practical applications of semigroup partitions and identity element?

Semigroup partitions and identity element have various practical applications, such as in the study of algebraic structures, coding theory, and automata theory. They also have applications in computer science, particularly in the design and analysis of algorithms.