Semileptonic Lambda baryon decay suppression

In summary, the conversation discusses the decay modes of the Lambda baryon and the observation that the decay mode with leptons is suppressed against the decay mode with pions. The reason for this suppression is not clearly understood, but it is suggested that it may be due to phase space rather than helicity suppression. The electron decay is more frequent than the muon decay, which can be attributed to the phase space factor. However, it is noted that the W propagator may also play a role in suppressing the leptonic decay mode.
Triple_S
Hi there,

I'm currently studying the decay modes of the Lambda baryon (uds).
According to literature, the decay mode with leptons (e.g. Lambda -> p + e- + anti ve) is suppressed against the decay modes with pions (e.g. Lambda -> p + pi-) by a factor of about 10^-4.
I was looking for the reason for this suppression, but could'nt find anything. Could anyone explain it to me? I was thinking that it might be due to parity, cause it's not conserved in weak interactions, but I'm not sure whether that's correct.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it's helicity suppression. If that were the case, the semimuonic decay would be much, much larger (about 7800x) than the semielectronic. It's probably 3-body vs. 2-body phase space.

Shouldn't the phase space favor the three-body decay? Not much energy released in the two-body decay.

The electron decay is more frequent than the muon decay by a factor of ~5, I can see the phase space factor there.

mfb said:
Shouldn't the phase space favor the three-body decay?

I can't do it in my head, except to note that phase space suppression goes up with increasing numbers of particles, especially when you have a W. The W propagator is trying to drive the e-nu system to high mass, and that bites into phase space. But what I am sure is that it's not helicity suppression, since the electron decay is 5x more frequent than the muon decay and not 1/7800 as frequent.

1. What is semileptonic Lambda baryon decay suppression?

Semileptonic Lambda baryon decay suppression refers to the phenomenon where the decay of a Lambda baryon particle is suppressed or inhibited due to the presence of a lepton in the final state of the decay process.

2. Why is semileptonic Lambda baryon decay suppression important?

This phenomenon is important because it provides valuable information about the strong nuclear force and the structure of the Lambda baryon particle. It also helps us to better understand the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions.

3. How is semileptonic Lambda baryon decay suppression studied?

Scientists study this phenomenon by observing and analyzing the decay products of Lambda baryon particles in high-energy particle collisions. They also use mathematical models and simulations to understand the underlying mechanisms of the suppression.

4. What are the potential applications of studying semileptonic Lambda baryon decay suppression?

Studying this phenomenon can have implications in various fields such as nuclear physics, particle physics, and astrophysics. It can also contribute to the development of new technologies and advancements in our understanding of the universe.

5. Are there any open questions or debates surrounding semileptonic Lambda baryon decay suppression?

Yes, there are still ongoing debates and research about the exact mechanisms and factors that contribute to this suppression. Additionally, scientists are also exploring the possibility of similar suppression effects in other particles and decay processes.