Send GRE math subject test scores when not required?

In summary: Your name]In summary, the individual schools have varying requirements and recommendations for GRE subject test scores, and it is ultimately up to the applicant to decide whether to send them. In this particular situation, sending the Math Subject GRE scores may potentially strengthen the application, but it is important to also consider other aspects, such as actuarial exam scores and grad level math courses. It may also be helpful to reach out to the schools directly for more information on their specific policies.
Phoenix33
Hey everyone,

So I'm currently applying to both masters of science in pure math and masters of science in financial math programs.

I noticed that although all schools require you to send the General GRE score, but as far as the math subject test is concerned:

1. some require the subject GRE scores
2. some recommend it
3. and the rest just say not required

I was wondering how high do you think the Math Subject test score should be so that you send it with your application to schools that fall under the 3rd category?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The reason I ask is because I got waitlisted at Boston University for Financial Math, and am wondering if I should send my GRE subject test scores to strengthen my app.

Also, two other schools of mine that I'm applying to for pure math masters, Virginia Tech and University of Florida don't require the GRE subject test scores.

Here's my specific situation:

Math Subject test GRE scores: (660, 56%) first attempt
(720, 70%) second attempt

General GRE scores: (640 V, 800 Q, 4.5 W)

Majors: BA math (major GPA 3.5)
BS econ (major GPA 3.56)

Cum. GPA: 3.02 (didn't do so hot on some non-math/econ classes)

I've also passed the first three actuarial exams with high schores, and I've taken one grad level math class (got an A)

Will sending the Math Subject GRE scores help me, hurt me? what do you guys think?

Thanks a bunch,

PI

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear PI,

I understand the importance of standardized test scores in the admissions process. However, it is ultimately up to the individual schools to determine their specific requirements and recommendations for GRE subject test scores.

In your specific situation, it may be beneficial to send your Math Subject GRE scores to schools that do not require them, as it can demonstrate your proficiency in the subject and potentially strengthen your application. However, it is important to keep in mind that these scores are just one aspect of your overall application and may not be the deciding factor in your admission.

I would also recommend reaching out to the schools directly to inquire about their specific policies and how they weigh GRE subject test scores in their admissions process. This can give you a better understanding of how your scores may be considered.

Ultimately, it is important to present a well-rounded application that showcases your strengths and qualifications, including your strong performance in actuarial exams and grad level math courses. Best of luck in your application process!

Related to Send GRE math subject test scores when not required?

1. What is the GRE math subject test?

The GRE math subject test is an exam designed to assess a student's understanding and skills in mathematics. It covers topics such as calculus, algebra, and geometry at an undergraduate level.

2. Are GRE math subject test scores required for all graduate programs?

No, not all graduate programs require GRE math subject test scores. Some programs may have their own specific requirements, while others may not require them at all.

3. Should I still send my GRE math subject test scores if they are not required?

If a program does not require GRE math subject test scores, it is ultimately up to the individual to decide whether or not to send them. It may be beneficial to send them if the scores are high and can strengthen your application.

4. Do all schools accept GRE math subject test scores?

No, not all schools accept GRE math subject test scores. It is important to check with each individual school to see their specific requirements and whether or not they accept the test scores.

5. How long are GRE math subject test scores valid?

GRE math subject test scores are valid for five years from the date of the test. After five years, they will no longer be considered valid and cannot be reported to schools.