GRE Quant Very bad score? Why?

• Thread starter Lagraaaange
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gre
In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's experience with taking the GRE quant exam and their disappointment with their score of 152. They are a physics major and expected to do well on the math portion of the exam, but found themselves struggling with time constraints and algebraic manipulation questions. They also mention not studying for the exam, which others advise against. The conversation also touches on the importance of studying and taking the exam seriously for graduate school admissions. The speaker expresses frustration with others who claim to have done well on the exam without studying, but acknowledges the need to improve their algebraic manipulation skills and plans to study for the exam again. The conversation ends with a discussion on the validity of people's claims on the internet and the importance of
Lagraaaange
I did atrocious on my GRE quant: 152. I don't understand this since I'm able to get As in upper level physics classes and math classes. I found myself very pressed for time. I found myself often trying to "think" out the math problems instead of resorting to math "tricks" to simplify expressions. Is this maybe me losing touch with basic HS math after doing integrals and huge derivations in physics classes? Perhaps my difficulty in high school in math is coming back to bite me? I'm trying to rationalize this. I did not study at all, just took 2 practice tests a week before and scored 154, 160. I feel like most physics majors shouldn't have to prepare and they'll still do 160+?

Physics news on Phys.org
Enroll in ALEKS precalculus and complete the pie before you try again. I know of no more thorough review of HS math.

Lagraaaange said:
Is this maybe me losing touch with basic HS math after doing integrals and huge derivations in physics classes?

I think this is it honestly, it was for me.

Lagraaaange said:
I did not study at all,

I don't get why you're looking for rationalizations when it's pretty obvious what you did wrong.

Likes KSG4592 and Student100
micromass said:
I don't get why you're looking for rationalizations when it's pretty obvious what you did wrong.
When one gets A's in physics and math at the 3000 and 4000 level, it's reasonable to assume you'd do well at GRE quant level stuff which is high school algebra, geometry and stats at best. I did no study for my english section of the GRE and got in the 160's; I do agree that if the OP wants to do better, he should actually review though.

Did the new test seem harder than the practices? The two I did I got 165 on each. I wasn't planning on studying anything either for it lol.

What did you miss when you took the practice tests? The questions on the GRE quant section are sometimes worded kind of tricky, was that your downfall?

It is completely possible to fluke GRE quant even when you feel confident in you math skills. I myself got very bad scores once due to stress and lack of sleep (and also not preparing for it seriously). When I retook it later, I had 790 (99th percentile) score without much trouble. You should take it seriously and work through the type of problems they ask and train to do it quickly. Keep in mind that they don't aim to test your math knowledge as such, but your ability to cope with the test (so that to screen out applicants). This includes choosing appropriate strategies and preparation.

micromass said:
Most people on this site don't study at all. Perhaps they're just much smarter than me. I don't know.

Lagraange,

I am wondering what you are hoping to get out of PF. In this thread, you asked if a 155 would be a problem. You were told that it would be, and that you should study. You didn't study, and got a 152. If you aren't going to take the community's advice, why ask for it? And why act surprised when it doesn't work out for you?

Likes Dr. Courtney and micromass
Dishsoap said:
What did you miss when you took the practice tests? The questions on the GRE quant section are sometimes worded kind of tricky, was that your downfall?
Mainly the algebraic manipulation questions. Like determining which is greater this number times its primes or this this times its that, etc.

Vanadium 50 said:
Lagraange,

I am wondering what you are hoping to get out of PF. In this thread, you asked if a 155 would be a problem. You were told that it would be, and that you should study. You didn't study, and got a 152. If you aren't going to take the community's advice, why ask for it? And why act surprised when it doesn't work out for you?
That was a day before the exam. Why didn't I study? Hubris and lack of time. More of the former.

Lagraaaange said:
Most people on this site don't study at all.

Evidence please?

Lagraaaange said:
That was a day before the exam. Why didn't I study? Hubris and lack of time. More of the former.

Study this time and take the exam again. That's your only option.

Every forum I go through everyone is stating how as a physics major the exam is cake and they got 160+ with no study. It's pretty discouraging to do just as well as an art history major in quant. My main trouble is the time constraint. I can solve every problem just not in 2min. Guess I need to improve my algebraic manipulations skills more. I don't know

micromass said:
Study this time and take the exam again. That's your only option.
What do you recommend? The GRE quant book with some practice exams mixed in? Should I ignore reading? (I got 152 as well). I'm looking to take January off(after fall semester) and just study for a month.

Thankfully I don't apply for grad school for a year and that gives me the winter to study for GRE general and entire summer for physics.

Lagraaaange said:
Mainly the algebraic manipulation questions. Like determining which is greater this number times its primes or this this times its that, etc.

Ah... well, when you do those. do you plug in examples (the easy way) or try to rearrange equations (the hard way)?

Lagraaaange said:
Should I ignore reading? (I got 152 as well).

Nobody suggested that. But to paraphrase advice you got elsewhere, if you can't study two things over the course of a year, you are not cut out for graduate school.

If you had studied in the time you spend here making topics, maybe you'd have done better.

Everyone on the internet lies and brags. Surely some people on here that claim to have a doctorate or claim to be scientists are lying as well. No one is ever going to catch them and internet is a true make-believe parallel universe.

It is already very hard to give someone online advice. When you add "oh and I didnt study' the only correct answer based on the info given is that you scored bad because you didn't study. Maybe not correct based on the story of your life, but surely correct based on the info given.

Sure, people pass tests without studying. But that's besides the point. Not to mention, tons of people out there study their asses off, then tell their classmates they didn't study for that top mark they got.

It is good that you realize that you need advice. But the best way to get it is to talk with your study advisor.

Likes micromass
The quantitative section of the GRE should not be hard for a physics major. All of the material on it is taught in high school and it may even be considered easier than the SAT. You should be able to refresh your memory in a few hours. A score this low will make the admissions comittee question your ability to do basic. Most of the applicant pool will have scored very highly on this test to the point where the scores are mostly indistinguishable. If you are below 150 you will definitely stick out.

What I recommend is that you take a practice test or two and look at a review book. If you can't do much better after doing those things you may have a problem.

Likes vela
Lagraaaange said:
just took 2 practice tests a week before and scored 154, 160

I looked it up. A 152 in English is the 15th percentile among people who declared physics on their GRE. A 152 in math is the 7th percentile, a 154 is the 12th and a 160 is the 41st. Those are the numbers.

A week before the GRE, the absolute best you ever did still put you in the bottom half of physics applicants. That should have been a strong signal to study. I really don't understand how you let things get this far, and I don't understand your puzzlement at receiving your scores.

radium said:
The quantitative section of the GRE should not be hard for a physics major. All of the material on it is taught in high school and it may even be considered easier than the SAT. You should be able to refresh your memory in a few hours. A score this low will make the admissions comittee question your ability to do basic. Most of the applicant pool will have scored very highly on this test to the point where the scores are mostly indistinguishable. If you are below 150 you will definitely stick out.

What I recommend is that you take a practice test or two and look at a review book. If you can't do much better after doing those things you may have a problem.

It's not hard, but it would be unfamiliar style of questions compared to the derivations done in junior and senior level physics classes; I know multiple physics majors who got tripped up on the quantitative part of the general GRE for this reason but still got into grad school just fine (I do agree 150 ought to be the bare minimum though).

Yes but this is high school level math we are talking about. Most likely all of it has been covered by junior year. It shouldn't take that long to refresh your memory. To put it bluntly, I would say that if you can't get at least in the mid 160s with a few hours of studying that is not good. I think you mean 160 is the bare minimum because 150 puts you in the bottom 50% of test takers. You have to remember the context of this text. You are taking it alongside people who are not very talented in math, not just science majors. At the top schools (I think the poster wants to get into a top 50 school) most of the scores are indistinguishable. You will stick out with this kind of score.

Vanadium 50 said:
I looked it up. A 152 in English is the 15th percentile among people who declared physics on their GRE. A 152 in math is the 7th percentile, a 154 is the 12th and a 160 is the 41st. Those are the numbers.

A week before the GRE, the absolute best you ever did still put you in the bottom half of physics applicants. That should have been a strong signal to study. I really don't understand how you let things get this far, and I don't understand your puzzlement at receiving your scores.
I'm here to receive advice from past students in a similar circumstance who will offer helpful insight, not to feel more discouraged. I understand I did poorly.

What you need to do is study. Not complain that other people did better without studying, or complain that you'll need to study English too, or complain how discouraging finishing below 93% of your peers is. You need to study. Simple as that.

1. What is considered a "very bad" GRE Quant score?

A "very bad" GRE Quant score is typically anything below the 25th percentile, which is around 148-149 out of 170.

2. Why is the GRE Quant score important?

The GRE Quantitative Reasoning section is designed to test a student's mathematical skills, problem-solving abilities, and data analysis skills. It is important for graduate schools to assess a student's quantitative skills as it is a crucial component in many fields of study.

3. How can I improve my GRE Quant score?

The best way to improve your GRE Quant score is to practice, practice, practice! Familiarize yourself with the types of questions that will be on the exam and work on building your mathematical skills. There are also many test prep resources available, such as study guides, practice tests, and tutoring services.

4. Can a low GRE Quant score affect my chances of getting into graduate school?

Yes, a low GRE Quant score can potentially affect your chances of getting into graduate school. Many schools have a minimum GRE score requirement, and a low Quant score may indicate to admissions committees that you may struggle with the quantitative demands of the program.

5. Are there any strategies for tackling the GRE Quant section?

Yes, there are several strategies that can help you tackle the GRE Quant section. These include familiarizing yourself with the format and types of questions, using process of elimination, and managing your time effectively. It is also helpful to brush up on basic math concepts and practice using them in a timed setting.