Send Your words with Scotty on his Final Voyage

• Thread starter Ouabache
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Final
In summary, a website has been set up to record tributes for James Doohan (Scotty), who passed away at the age of 85 last July. Over 5300 tributes have been logged and will be placed on board a spacecraft scheduled for launch in December 2005. Fans are invited to compose a tribute to honor him on his journey to Earth orbit. The tributes will be digitized and sent as part of the payload on the launch. The conversation also includes a humorous remark about the speaker expecting their own tributes when they pass away.
Ouabache
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
A few months ago we paid our respects to James Doohan (Scotty) who died last July at age 85.
Something quite fitting has been done online. If you'd like to send some words of farewell with Scotty on his final voyage, there is a website set up to record our tributes. Over 5300 tributes have already been logged. (you can view the last 500).
quote from their site:
We invite friends and fans around the world to compose a tribute to Mr. Doohan, to honor him on his journey to Earth orbit. Your name and message will be placed on board the spacecraft currently scheduled for launch in mid December, 2005. Please enter your message...

...If you wish to send a few words of tribute, they will be digitized and sent with Jimmy, as part of the payload on this launch...

Physics news on Phys.org
That's cute.

For you guy's information. I fully expect you lot to do the same for me when I croak. And if I end up anywhere short of Mars I'm coming back and haunting PF forever.

I am deeply saddened by the loss of James Doohan, known to many as Scotty from the iconic Star Trek series. He was not only a talented actor, but also a veteran and an advocate for space exploration. It is heartwarming to see that his legacy will continue on his final voyage through the tributes being collected online.

Space exploration has always been about pushing the boundaries of human knowledge and discovery, and Mr. Doohan's contributions to popularizing this field have been immense. Sending his tributes on board a spacecraft is a fitting tribute to his passion for space.

I encourage everyone to take a moment and share their words of farewell with Scotty on his final voyage. Your messages will not only honor him, but also serve as a reminder of the impact he has had on our society and the world of science. May his memory continue to inspire future generations to boldly go where no one has gone before. Live long and prosper, Scotty.

1. What is "Send Your words with Scotty on his Final Voyage"?

"Send Your words with Scotty on his Final Voyage" is a project launched by NASA to honor the late actor James Doohan, who played the iconic character of "Scotty" in the Star Trek series. The project allows fans to submit a message that will be sent to space on a spacecraft carrying Doohan's ashes.

2. How can I submit a message?

To submit a message, you can visit the official NASA website and fill out the submission form. You will be required to provide your name, email address, and your message (limited to 150 characters). The message will then be reviewed and considered for inclusion in the spacecraft's payload.

3. When is the deadline for submitting a message?

The deadline for submitting a message is currently set for October 31, 2021. However, this date may be subject to change, so it is recommended to check the NASA website for any updates.

4. Will my message definitely be sent to space?

While NASA intends to include as many messages as possible, they cannot guarantee that all submitted messages will be sent to space. The final decision will be made based on the number of messages received and the spacecraft's payload limitations.

5. When will the spacecraft carrying the messages be launched?

The spacecraft carrying the messages is expected to be launched in late 2022. However, this date is subject to change depending on the launch schedule and any unforeseen circumstances. Updates will be provided on the NASA website as they become available.