Sensitivity of a thermocouple from thermometric function

In summary, the thermocouple will be most sensitive in the temperature range that is farthest away from the dE=0 extrema at T=250°C, within the operational limits of the thermocouple. This is where the smallest change in temperature will result in the greatest measurable change in voltage. The most sensitive temperature points will be close to the roots of the function at 0°C and 500°C, as these are where the derivative has extreme values and the output voltage will change the most for a small change in temperature. The extreme temperatures outside of the operational limits of the thermocouple may show the highest sensitivity theoretically, but they may not function in reality due to limitations in conductivity.
Kavorka

Homework Statement

In what range of temperature will this thermocouple be more sensitive (i.e. having a measureable voltage for a small change in temperature)?

Homework Equations

The thermal electromotive force (E) of a thermocouple is described in terms of temperature by the function:
E = (1/2)T - (1/1000)T2 with E in mV, T in degrees Celsius
For previous questions, I have graphed the function and found its maximum. They want the answer in terms of the graph, and although I have an idea what the answer is I'm not 100% sure that I am right.

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer:

The greatest thermocouple sensitivity or greatest ΔmV for the smallest ΔT will be when |dE| is largest, or when the temperature is farthest away from the dE=0 extrema at T=250°C. AT the farthest temperatures from T=250°C within the operational limits of the thermocoupler wherein f(E) still holds (too hot will melt the metal and reduce conductivity, too cold will limit conductivity) are where the smallest change in T results in the greatest measurable change in voltage. As we want the thermocouple to create a positive volatage, the most sensitive thermocouple temperatues where E is positive are close to the roots of f(E) at 0°C and 500°C.

My problem is I'm not sure if they mean the thermocouple is most sensitive only when the slope is large or when it its absolute value is large, or what exactly I should say about the limits of the function at extreme temperatures when the theoretical graph indicates the highest sensitivity but where in reality the device wouldn't function. Any tips would be helpful!

Physics news on Phys.org
The greatest sensitivity should be where the gradient is the steepest. That is for a small change in temperature the output voltage changes the most. That means around the region(s) where the derivative of the function have extreme values.

What is a thermocouple?

A thermocouple is a temperature sensor that consists of two different types of metals joined together at one end. The junction of the two metals produces a small voltage that is dependent on the temperature difference between the junction and the other end of the thermocouple.

What is the thermometric function?

The thermometric function describes the relationship between the voltage produced by the thermocouple and the temperature difference between the junction and the other end of the thermocouple. It is typically a linear function, but may vary depending on the types of metals used in the thermocouple.

What factors affect the sensitivity of a thermocouple?

The sensitivity of a thermocouple can be affected by several factors, including the types of metals used, the temperature range being measured, and the accuracy of the temperature measurement device. Other factors may include the length and diameter of the thermocouple wires, as well as the stability and homogeneity of the materials used.

How is the sensitivity of a thermocouple determined?

The sensitivity of a thermocouple is typically determined by measuring the voltage produced by the thermocouple at different known temperature differences between the junction and the other end. This data is then used to calculate the slope of the thermometric function, which is the sensitivity of the thermocouple.

What is the significance of the sensitivity of a thermocouple?

The sensitivity of a thermocouple is an important factor to consider when selecting a temperature sensor for a specific application. A higher sensitivity means that the thermocouple will produce a larger change in voltage for a given change in temperature, resulting in a more accurate and precise temperature measurement. However, a higher sensitivity may also make the thermocouple more susceptible to noise and other external factors, so it is important to strike a balance between sensitivity and stability for the desired application.