Separation of variables for non-central potentials

In summary: Maybe you could be more specific about the potential you have in mind. If u(r) and f(theta) are completely general then I don't think that you can find another factorization.
dongsh2
Dear Everyone,

I have a question about the separation of variables for non-central potentials (r, \theta, \phi). In spherical coordinates, such a potential V(r,\theta)=u(r)+f(\theta)/r^2 can be separated. Who knows it could also be separated in other coordinates? Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe parabolic co-ordinates. Landau Lifgarbagez, Quantum mechanics, discusses the separability in quite a range of different co-ordinates.

There's also the famous book by Morse and Feshbach (I don't remember exactly which volume) which discussing the separation of variables in a linear PDE.

DrDu said:
Maybe parabolic co-ordinates. Landau Lifgarbagez, Quantum mechanics, discusses the separability in quite a range of different co-ordinates.

Thanks. But using parabolic ones, how to separate the potential V(r,\theta) to the sum of those variables in parabolic ones.

dextercioby said:
There's also the famous book by Morse and Feshbach (I don't remember exactly which volume) which discussing the separation of variables in a linear PDE.

The question is following. For a non-central potential

V(r,\theta)=r^2/2+b/r^2+(c/r^2) [ d/sin^2(\theta) cos^2(\theta) + f/sin^2(\theta)], where b,c,d,f are constants.

We have separated it in spherical coordinates and published. I try to find the possibility in other coordinates.

Maybe you could be more specific about the potential you have in mind. If u(r) and f(theta) are completely general then I don't think that you can find another factorization.
On the other hand there are other non-central potentials which aren't of the form you specified and which are separable.

This potential was separated and studied last year in spherical coordinates. Which potential (non ours) could be separable in other coordinates? Could you pls tell me? Thanks.

I have sent this question to my friends in USA and France, but I have not received their reply. They are expert in this field.

Related to Separation of variables for non-central potentials

1. What is the concept of separation of variables for non-central potentials?

The concept of separation of variables for non-central potentials is a mathematical technique used to solve differential equations that involve two or more variables. It involves separating the dependent variables into individual functions that only depend on one of the independent variables, which simplifies the equation and makes it easier to solve.

2. How does separation of variables work for non-central potentials?

In separation of variables for non-central potentials, the dependent variables are written as a product of two or more functions, each of which only depends on one of the independent variables. This allows the equation to be transformed into a set of simpler equations, which can then be solved separately and combined to find the general solution.

3. What types of equations can be solved using separation of variables for non-central potentials?

Separation of variables for non-central potentials is commonly used to solve partial differential equations, particularly those involving non-central potentials such as the Coulomb potential. It is also used in other areas of physics and engineering, such as quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics.

4. What are the benefits of using separation of variables for non-central potentials?

Separation of variables for non-central potentials allows for the simplification and solution of complex differential equations. It also provides a systematic approach to solving equations with multiple variables, making it a useful tool in many areas of science and engineering.

5. Are there any limitations to using separation of variables for non-central potentials?

While separation of variables is a powerful technique, it can only be used for certain types of equations and is not always applicable. It also requires a good understanding of the underlying mathematics and may not always provide an explicit solution for the equation. In some cases, numerical methods may be needed to solve the equation instead.