Sequence Abel-Summation

• Thread starter Dodobird
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary: The integral test allows you to test for the convergence of your series as long as f(n) is a monotone decreasing function ( Since you're starting at n=1 you don't have much to worry about ).The integral test allows you to test for the convergence of your series as long as f(n) is a monotone decreasing function ( Since you're starting at n=1 you don't have much to worry about ).The integral test allows you to test for the convergence of your series as long as f(n) is a monotone decreasing function ( Since you're starting at n=1 you don't have much to worry about ).The integral test allows you to test for the convergence of your series as
Dodobird

Homework Statement

Show that the following sequence [itex]\sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^\alpha} [/itex]
for all real [itex]\alpha > 1[/itex] converges and for all real [itex]\alpha \leq 1[/itex]
diverges.

The Attempt at a Solution

All I know is that the Abel-Summation is the only useful thing here, but I got no clue how to use it the right way and I heard that the common criteria won´t work.

I would be thankful for any hints or clues to get this proof running. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

First of all, this is a series and not a sequence.

Second. Have you seen things like the integral test?? Can you list all the tests which you've seen and think are useful?

Break it up into cases. There are 3 cases for you to consider here.

Thanks micromass and zondrina for your quick help

I´m sorry for the misconception. I meant series, sorry about that. Well our teacher told us/me that the quotient and/or root-test aren´t helpful here because the first one shows convergence and the second one divergence. He then talked about the summation by parts (Abel) and proved it with Weierstraß. I´m not sure if I´m allowed to use the integral-test on that because newer proofing techniques are forbidden until we have reached and proved them. I already got comfortable with sequences but the pace is so fast that we haven´t even got taught on series and now we got to prove something which is so new. I apologize for my bad English but I´m from abroad.

Is the integral test the same like the cauchy-criterion?

The integral test allows you to test for the convergence of your series as long as f(n) is a monotone decreasing function ( Since you're starting at n=1 you don't have much to worry about ).

Hi Zondrina and all the other helpers/readers. I used the Cauchy-Condensationtest:

For convergence:

[itex]s_n = \sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty a_1+a_2+a_3+...+a_n [/itex]

with the estimate

[itex]s_N=a_2+a_2+a_4+a_4+a_4+a_4+a_8+...+N*a_N
=2a_2+4a_4+...+N*a_N
=2(a_2+2a_4+...+ (\frac N2)*a_N) [/itex]

with

[itex]N= 2^k[/itex]

[itex]s_{2^k} =2(a_2)+2(a_4)+...+(2^{k-1})*a_k)=\sum\limits_{k=1}^n (a^k)a_{2^k}[/itex]

For divergence:

[itex]t_n = \sum\limits_{k=1}^n \frac 1k [/itex]

With the comparison test
[itex]s_n \leq t_n [/itex]

[itex]\sum\limits_{k=1}^n (a^k)a_{2^k} \leq \sum\limits_{k=1}^n \frac 1k [/itex]

mit [itex]a_{2^k} = \frac 1k[/itex]

The expression [itex] \lim_{n \to \infty} \sum\limits_{k=1}^n 1 [/itex] goes to infinity, so [itex]\sum\limits_{k=1}^n \frac 1k [/itex] goes as well to infinity.

Is this correct?

Would be cool if some1 could check it. If I´m close to the solution. Thank you.

Okay well thanks for your help

Related to Sequence Abel-Summation

1. What is Sequence Abel-Summation?

Sequence Abel-Summation is a mathematical method used to sum infinite series that do not converge absolutely. It is named after the mathematician Niels Henrik Abel.

2. How does Sequence Abel-Summation work?

Sequence Abel-Summation involves taking the limit of a sequence of partial sums to approximate the sum of an infinite series. It uses the Abel method, which involves manipulating the terms of the series to make it easier to work with.

3. What types of series can be summed using Sequence Abel-Summation?

Sequence Abel-Summation can be used on any series that do not converge absolutely, including alternating series and power series. However, it is most commonly used on slowly converging series.

4. What are the advantages of using Sequence Abel-Summation?

Sequence Abel-Summation can be used to sum series that would otherwise be impossible to sum using traditional methods. It also provides more accurate approximations compared to other summation methods.

5. Are there any limitations to using Sequence Abel-Summation?

Sequence Abel-Summation can only be used on series that do not converge absolutely. It also requires a significant amount of mathematical knowledge and skill to use effectively.