Sequential Stern Gerlech experiment

Rayan
Homework Statement
A beam of atoms with ##l=1## (##s= 0##) is traveling along the y-axis and passes through a Stern-Gerlach magnet A with its (mean) magnetic field along the x-axis. The emerging beam with ##m_x= 1## is separated from the other two beams. (The eigenvalue of ##L_x## for the atoms in this beam is ##\hbar m_x = \hbar##). The beam is then passed through a second Stern-Gerlach magnet with the magnetic field along the z-axis. Into how many beams is the beam further split and what the relative number of atoms in each beam? What would be the result if the ##m_x= 0## beam instead passed through a second magnet with the magnetic field along the z_axis?
Relevant Equations
So I thought that when the $m_l = 1$ beam passes through the second SG-magnet, it should split into 3 different beams with equal probability corresponding to $ m_l = -1 , 0 , 1 $ since the field here is aligned along z-axis and hence independent of the x-axis splitting.
And I thought that the same should happen if the $m_x=0$ beam passes through the second magnet? but I'm not as sure here!
and then there is a hint that says I should determine the eigenstates of the $L_x$ operator first! But I don't get why? Any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rayan said:
And I thought that the same should happen if the $m_x=0$ beam passes through the second magnet? but I'm not as sure here!
and then there is a hint that says I should determine the eigenstates of the $L_x$ operator first! But I don't get why? Any advice?
That's effectively a guess. It's a good hint to check your guess by looking precisely at how the eigenstates for a spin-1 particle about the x-y-z axes relate to each other.

Rayan said:
So you're not just guessing what the answers are. It's okay use your intuition to make an educated guess what the answer should be, but you still need to do the actual math to make a convincing argument.

Rayan said:
Let ##| L_z, m_z \rangle## denote an eigenstate of the ##L_z## operator which has eigenvalue ##m_z \hbar##. What are the possible values of ##m_z##?

Let ##| L_x, m_x \rangle## denote an eigenstate of the ##L_x## operator which has eigenvalue ##m_x \hbar##. What are the possible values of ##m_x##?

Suppose the angular momentum state of the particle is known to be ##| L_x, m_x \rangle##. If a measurement of the z-component of angular momentum is made on this particle, what are the possible outcomes of the measurement?

Using the notation ##| L_x, m_x \rangle## and ##\langle L_z, m_z |##, how would you construct an expression for the probability amplitude that the measurement will yield the outcome ##m_z \hbar##?

How do you obtain the probability that the outcome will be ##m_z \hbar##?

What is a Sequential Stern Gerlach experiment?

A Sequential Stern Gerlach experiment is a series of experiments where particles are passed through a sequence of Stern Gerlach devices in order to measure their magnetic properties.

How does a Sequential Stern Gerlach experiment work?

In a Sequential Stern Gerlach experiment, particles are initially passed through a Stern Gerlach device which splits them into two beams based on their magnetic properties. These beams are then passed through additional Stern Gerlach devices to further refine the measurement of the particles' magnetic properties.

What is the significance of a Sequential Stern Gerlach experiment?

A Sequential Stern Gerlach experiment is significant because it allows scientists to study the magnetic properties of particles in a precise and controlled manner. This can provide valuable insights into the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

What are some applications of Sequential Stern Gerlach experiments?

Sequential Stern Gerlach experiments are commonly used in quantum mechanics research to study the behavior of particles with magnetic properties. They can also be used in the development of technologies such as quantum computing and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

What are the limitations of Sequential Stern Gerlach experiments?

One limitation of Sequential Stern Gerlach experiments is that they can be complex and time-consuming to set up and conduct. Additionally, the results of these experiments can be influenced by factors such as external magnetic fields and the temperature of the environment in which the experiments are conducted.