Series expansion/algebra problem

• Thread starter BOAS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation is about a problem with a rearrangement in the solution of a series expansion. The solution starts by stating two equivalent expressions and the person is struggling to understand the rearrangement. The expert provides a clarification by showing that the two expressions are equivalent and the person understands.
BOAS
Hi,

i'm revising series expansions and my problem has arisen from an example in my textbook, but it's not directly related to the series expansion itself. It's more of an algebra question, where they've made a rearrangement I can't follow...

Homework Statement

If [itex]n[/itex] is a positive integer find the coefficient of [itex]x^{r}[/itex] in the expansion of [itex](1 + x)(1 - x)^{n}[/itex] as a series of ascending powers of x.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution starts by stating the following expressions are equivalent.

[itex](1 + x)(1 - x)^{n} \equiv (1 - x)^{n} + x(1 - x)^{n}[/itex]

If I take this statement to be true, I can follow through the rest of the example without a hitch, but I just can't see what they've done here.

Thanks for any help you can give,

BOAS.

Physics news on Phys.org
BOAS said:
Hi,

i'm revising series expansions and my problem has arisen from an example in my textbook, but it's not directly related to the series expansion itself. It's more of an algebra question, where they've made a rearrangement I can't follow...

Homework Statement

If [itex]n[/itex] is a positive integer find the coefficient of [itex]x^{r}[/itex] in the expansion of [itex](1 + x)(1 - x)^{n}[/itex] as a series of ascending powers of x.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution starts by stating the following expressions are equivalent.

[itex](1 + x)(1 - x)^{n} \equiv (1 - x)^{n} + x(1 - x)^{n}[/itex]

If I take this statement to be true, I can follow through the rest of the example without a hitch, but I just can't see what they've done here.

Thanks for any help you can give,

BOAS.

Let ##(1-x)^n=a##, then ##a(1+x)=a+ax##. Do you see now? :)

Pranav-Arora said:
Let ##(1-x)^n=a##, then ##a(1+x)=a+ax##. Do you see now? :)

Perfectly.

Thank you!

Related to Series expansion/algebra problem

1. What is a series expansion/algebra problem?

A series expansion/algebra problem is a mathematical concept where a function is expressed as a sum of infinitely many terms. It is used to simplify complex functions and make them easier to work with.

2. How is a series expansion/algebra problem solved?

A series expansion/algebra problem is solved by using a series of algebraic manipulations and techniques, such as factoring, distribution, and substitution, to simplify the function into a more manageable form.

3. What are some common applications of series expansion/algebra problems?

Series expansion/algebra problems are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to approximate and model complex systems and phenomena. They are also used in economics and finance for forecasting and analysis.

4. Can series expansion/algebra problems be used for any type of function?

Series expansion/algebra problems can be used for a wide range of functions, including polynomial, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions. However, the convergence and accuracy of the series may vary depending on the function.

5. What are some common challenges when working with series expansion/algebra problems?

Some common challenges when working with series expansion/algebra problems include determining the appropriate number of terms to use for a desired level of accuracy, dealing with divergent series, and identifying patterns in the coefficients of the terms.