Series problems convergent or divergent

In summary, the poster warned that the homework template is not optional, and if it's not used then it will not count towards the grade.
kevin3295
Poster warned that the homework template is not optional.
Determine if they are convergent or divergent, If it converges find the sum:

∑ 3^(n-1) 2^n
n=1

∑ ln(1/n)
n=1

∑ tan^n ( π/6)
n=1

I tried to find information on how to solve them but I couldn't, thanks for the help

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the necessary condition for convergence of a series? I.e if a series converges, then ...? By this ... condition, we immediately deduce that your second series diverges.

If I'm reading this right, the first series looks like
[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^\infty 3^{n-1}\cdot 2^n = \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{6^n}{3},
[/tex]
which clearly diverges by ...

The third series looks to be
[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^\infty \left (\tan \frac{\pi}{6}\right )^n = \sum_{n=1}^\infty \left (\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\right )^n
[/tex]

Last edited:
nuuskur said:
What is the necessary condition for convergence of a series? I.e if a series converges, then ...? By this ... condition, we immediately deduce that your second series diverges.

If I'm reading this right, the first series looks like
[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^\infty 3^{n-1}\cdot 2^n = \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{6^n}{3},
[/tex]
which clearly diverges by ...

The third series looks to be
[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^\infty \left (\tan \frac{\pi}{6}\right )^n = \sum_{n=1}^\infty \left (\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\right )^n
[/tex]
Thanks for answering, I am studying series on my own and I am still not sure how to solve them but I would like to use these three exercises as examples, it would be very helpful to have the procedure.

kevin3295 said:
Thanks for answering, I am studying series on my own and I am still not sure how to solve them but I would like to use these three exercises as examples, it would be very helpful to have the procedure.
Are you using a textbook? Any textbook that covers series will have a number of theorems (tools) that you can use to decide whether a series converges or diverges. There's not a "cookbook" procedure, as such, but there are tests such as the Nth Term Test for Divergence, Comparison Test, Limit Comparison Test, Integral Test, Ratio Test, and Alternating Series Test.
It's possible that for a given series, more than one test will produce a result. It's also possible that one test does not tell you anything, so you try a different test. It should never happen that two tests produce opposite results.

A textbook will also present several simple series whose behavior is known, that can be used in the tests where you compare a series you're investigating with another series that is known to converge or known to converge.

Let [itex]\sum\limits_{k=1}^\infty a_k[/itex] be a series, where for every [itex]k\quad a_k\in\mathbb{R}[/itex]. An elementary result is the following necessary condition for convergence: If a series converges, then [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty} a_n = 0[/itex]. Therefore, if a series fails to meet this condition, it diverges. For instance, [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\ln \frac{1}{n}=-\infty[/itex], therefore the second series diverges.

A necessary condition, however, need not be sufficient i.e if [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty}a_n=0[/itex] it's not necessary that the series converges. At this point we start using the Cauchy, d'Alembert tests and possibly something else, entirely. Perhaps none of the tests are conclusive and we need to prove convergence by definition. [the [itex]\varepsilon - N[/itex]-language to be specific].

Last edited:
@kevin3295, in future posts, please do not delete the homework template. Its use is required here.

What is a series problem?

A series problem is a mathematical concept that involves adding up an infinite number of terms in a specific sequence. It is often represented by the notation Σ, which stands for "sum".

What does it mean for a series to be convergent?

A series is convergent if the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. In other words, the series "converges" to a specific value. This can be visualized as the terms getting closer and closer together as more terms are added.

What does it mean for a series to be divergent?

A series is divergent if the sum of its terms does not approach a finite value as the number of terms increases. In other words, the series "diverges" and does not have a specific value that it approaches. This can be visualized as the terms getting farther and farther apart as more terms are added.

How can you determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

There are several tests that can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. These include the ratio test, the root test, and the integral test. These tests involve comparing the series to known convergent or divergent series, or evaluating the behavior of the terms as n approaches infinity.

Why is it important to determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

Determining the convergence or divergence of a series is important in many areas of mathematics and science. It can help in calculating the sums of infinite series, analyzing the behavior of functions, and understanding the limits of various mathematical concepts. It is also crucial in practical applications, such as in engineering and physics, where infinite series are used to model real-world phenomena.