Series soln. with singular point to 2nd order linear differential eqn

In summary, solving second order linear differential equations with singular points can be tricky, but there are methods such as the method of Frobenius and variation of parameters that can help us find series solutions. In this specific case, we can use the fact that lnx can be rewritten as a series and use the method of Frobenius to find a recurrence relation for the coefficients. Alternatively, we can use the method of variation of parameters and find a particular solution involving a logarithmic term.
Gridvvk
So, I'm trying to solve 2nd order linear differential equations (series solutions near a singular point).

(lnx)y" + 0.5y' + y = 0 around the regular singular point x = 1

I got the indicial equation,

r(r-0.5) = 0,

which leads to the roots...

r1 = 0.5, r2 = 0

The problem only asks us to find the first three nonzero terms in the series y1 = Ʃa_n * (x-1)^r+n from n = 0 to infinity. And we only need to find one solution, corresponding to the larger root.

So I took the first and second derivatives of the y1 they gave and plugged it into the differential equation. Now at this point I usually factor out all the x terms. And since the left side has to equal zero for all x, I can divide by that x term to get a recurrence relation (that involves a_n terms). From the relation I can figure out what a_n is. However, in this case, I can't factor out all the x terms because there's a lnx.

Anyone know how to get rid of the lnx?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. Solving second order linear differential equations can be a challenging task, especially when dealing with singular points. In this case, the presence of the natural logarithm term in the equation makes it more complicated. However, there are some techniques that can help us solve this type of problem.

Firstly, we can use the method of Frobenius to find a series solution near the singular point. This involves substituting y = Ʃa_n * (x-1)^r+n into the differential equation and solving for the coefficients a_n. In this case, we have to deal with the lnx term, but we can use the fact that lnx = 1 + (x-1) + (x-1)^2/2 + (x-1)^3/3 + ... to rewrite the equation in terms of powers of (x-1). This will allow us to find a recurrence relation for the coefficients and solve for them.

Another approach is to use the method of variation of parameters. This involves finding a particular solution of the differential equation and then using it to find the general solution. In this case, we can use the fact that y = x^0.5 is a solution to the homogeneous equation (with r = 0.5). We can then use the method of variation of parameters to find a particular solution, which will involve a logarithmic term. This can then be used to find the general solution.

I hope these suggestions will help you solve the problem. Good luck!

Scientist at [Your Institution]

Related to Series soln. with singular point to 2nd order linear differential eqn

1. What is a series solution with singular point for a 2nd order linear differential equation?

A series solution with singular point is a method used to find a solution to a 2nd order linear differential equation near a point where the coefficient of the highest derivative term becomes zero or infinite. This method involves writing the solution in the form of a power series and finding the coefficients through a recursive process.

2. When is a series solution with singular point applicable for a 2nd order linear differential equation?

A series solution with singular point is applicable when the coefficient of the highest derivative term becomes zero or infinite at a point, making it impossible to use other methods such as separation of variables or variation of parameters.

3. How is a series solution with singular point different from a regular series solution for a 2nd order linear differential equation?

A series solution with singular point takes into account the behavior of the differential equation at a specific point, while a regular series solution does not. This allows for finding a solution that is valid near the singular point, whereas a regular series solution may not be valid in this case.

4. What is the process for finding a series solution with singular point for a 2nd order linear differential equation?

The process involves writing the solution in the form of a power series, differentiating it to obtain a recurrence relation for the coefficients, and solving the recurrence relation to find the coefficients. The solution can then be expressed as a series, which can be used to approximate the solution near the singular point.

5. What are the limitations of using a series solution with singular point for a 2nd order linear differential equation?

A series solution with singular point may not always be applicable, as it relies on the behavior of the equation at a specific point. It also may not provide an exact solution, as it involves approximating the solution with a series. Additionally, the process of finding the coefficients can be time-consuming and may not always be possible for more complex equations.