Series Solution of Differential Equations - Real or Fake?

In summary, the conversation is about solving non-linear differential equations and a discussion about the validity and usefulness of analytic solutions versus numerical solutions. The conversation also mentions a Facebook page where a group claims to solve differential equations using series, including a heat PDE on the (x,y) plane. The possibility of finding a numerical solution to this problem and suggested methods for solving it are also mentioned. The conversation ends with a recommendation for a book on Fourier series and numerical methods for partial differential equations.
Pejman
Hi guys,

I was browsing in regards to differential equations, the non-linear de and came up with this site in facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/nonlinearDE

Are these people for real? Can just solve any DE like that, come up with a series? Not an expert in this area, so I do not know what if this is actually possible? If it is possible, what are the downfalls?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
This paper may be relevant: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1206.2346.pdf. I'm not sure if it's the same people, but the authors seem to be claiming the same thing. I'm not sure I want analytic solutions if they have to be that complicated and ugly. Why not just have a numerical solution for the "full" problem and then compare that with simple analytic solutions that describe "parts" of whatever's going on?

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the reply and paper, I looked through it and it seems similar, however, these fb guys series does not come as power series of x, some times it eventually become a closed form solution which I found very interesting, some times as power series of tanh() for example . They also have a heat PDE in (x,y) plane; I know that I had a similar problem but I had difficulties finding a numerical solution. Is it possible to find a numerical solution to this one? What method do you use? It's a BV problem, shooting method in 2-d?

If you mean the heat equation Dirichlet BV problem on the Facebook page then, yes, that can be solved numerically. I would probably use the finite analytic method on it. A good book to look at is the one by Richard Bernatz, Fourier Series and Numerical Methods for Partial Differential Equations. There is a rather egregious error in the front of the book (to a physicist, anyway!) where he says that the solution to the Schrodinger equation represents a velocity, but otherwise it's very good.

What is a series solution of a differential equation?

A series solution of a differential equation is a method used to find an approximate solution to a differential equation by representing the solution as a series of terms.

How do you determine if a series solution for a differential equation is real or fake?

A series solution is considered real if it converges to the exact solution of the differential equation for all values of the independent variable. It is considered fake if it only converges for a limited range of values or if it does not converge at all.

What is the significance of using a series solution for a differential equation?

Series solutions allow for an approximate solution to be found for a differential equation that cannot be solved analytically. It is also a useful tool in understanding the behavior of the solution for different values of the independent variable.

What are the limitations of using a series solution for a differential equation?

The accuracy of a series solution depends on the number of terms used, and it may not always converge to the exact solution. It also may not be able to capture the behavior of the solution for very large or very small values of the independent variable.

What are some common applications of series solutions for differential equations?

Series solutions are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to approximate solutions for differential equations that arise in various problems, such as in heat transfer, fluid mechanics, and electrical circuits.