Serpentine Belt Analysis Homework: Length & Motion Equations Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving the belt system between two pulleys. The first part involves proving the length of the belt using a negative radius for the backwrapped pulleys, while the second part involves deriving equations for motion. The homework equations are listed in pictures and the attempt at a solution includes multiple attempts at finding the length equation and correctly writing the motion equation. The conversation ends with the poster stating that they have solved all equations except for the length of the belt and asking for clarification on certain variables.
chriskay301

Homework Statement

Here is what the belt system looks like.
kcmip1.jpg

The first part of the problem is to prove that the length of the belt between pulleys is
ay1ppk.jpg
assuming a negative radius for the backwrapped pulleys (idler and tensioner).

The second part is to derive the equations for motion, which are given so we can use them to check out answers.
2rc37d2.jpg

Homework Equations

Listed above in pictures.

The Attempt at a Solution

So here are my attempts at both the length equation and the first motion equation (which will be the same concept for the first few)

r8im4i.jpg

For this length equation I've tried so many different things and I can't seem to get anything to work out. The picture I've posted is my last attempt that I've tried by just expanding out the formula and seeing if I can see where it is coming from. I've also tried subtracting/adding the radius when making the triangle, etc.

1q08kp.jpg

For the motion equation I know I have the correct equation. But I have that one spring written in compression to achieve it (the circles in the diagram). I'm not sure how I can validate that I know that spring is in compression, or if I just did the solution incorrectly. Any help would be appreciated..thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay..so I figured out all of the motion equations. I'm still stuck on the length of the belt however. I've tried numerous approaches.. I am not sure if I'm defining the length wrong, or just not thinking about it properly. Or maybe over thinking it. But just drawing a triangle from center of circle A to the center of circle B would give you length of the belt wouldn't it?

Maybe you should make a sketch of the belt and show the sheaves which the belt drives. You know what xA, xB, rA, rB, etc. mean, but we do not.

Likes 1 person
I actually figured out all of this 2 days after I posted it.

THIS POST CAN BE CLOSED.

I would first commend the student for their efforts in attempting to solve the problem and using various methods to try and understand the concepts. I would then offer some guidance and clarification on the equations and concepts involved.

For the length equation, it is important to remember that the belt is essentially a closed loop, so the length of the belt between the pulleys is equal to the circumference of the pulleys plus the distance between the centers of the pulleys. This can be expressed as L = 2πr + d, where r is the radius of the pulley and d is the distance between the centers. In this case, since we are assuming a negative radius for the backwrapped pulleys, the length equation would be L = 2π(-r) + d.

For the motion equations, it is important to understand the concept of tension and compression in a spring. When a spring is being pulled or stretched, it is in tension, and when it is being compressed, it is in compression. In this system, the spring that is being pulled by the belt is in tension, while the spring that is pushing against the belt is in compression. This is why the equations have different signs for the spring constants.

To validate that the spring is in compression, we can use Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. If we observe that the displacement of the spring is in the opposite direction of the applied force, we can confirm that the spring is in compression.

In conclusion, it is important to understand the concepts and assumptions involved in solving a problem like this. It may require multiple attempts and different approaches, but with perseverance and understanding, the correct solutions can be obtained.

1. What is a serpentine belt?

A serpentine belt, also known as a drive belt, is a long, continuous belt that runs through various engine components to power them. It is usually made of rubber and is responsible for driving the alternator, power steering pump, water pump, and other components.

2. How do I know if my serpentine belt needs to be replaced?

There are a few signs that indicate a worn or damaged serpentine belt. These include squealing or chirping noises coming from the engine, visible cracks or fraying on the belt, and loss of power steering or electrical functions. It is recommended to check the belt periodically and replace it every 60,000-100,000 miles.

3. What are the consequences of a failing serpentine belt?

If a serpentine belt fails, it can result in the loss of power for important engine components, such as the alternator and water pump. This can lead to a dead battery, overheating, and other engine problems. It is important to replace a failing serpentine belt as soon as possible to avoid further damage to the engine.

4. Can I replace a serpentine belt myself?

Replacing a serpentine belt requires some mechanical knowledge and tools. It is recommended to have a professional mechanic replace the belt to ensure it is installed correctly and the tension is adjusted properly. However, if you have the right tools and experience, it is possible to replace the belt yourself.

5. How much does it cost to replace a serpentine belt?

The cost of replacing a serpentine belt can vary depending on the make and model of your vehicle, as well as labor costs. On average, it can cost anywhere from $100 to $250 for parts and labor. It is important to get a quote from a reputable mechanic before getting the belt replaced.