Set builder notation and proofs

In summary, "set builder" notation is a notation for writing and specifying sets and is not a method of teaching set theory or a means of proof. It is used as a compromise in education to make proofs easier to grade, but it may not fully demonstrate understanding. While it has been used in textbooks for the past 20 years, it is not a widely used terminology and there is a question of whether some instructors are teaching a format for proofs in elementary set theory that heavily relies on this notation.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
"set builder" notation and proofs

I'm curious about the references to "set builder" notation that I see in forum posts. Is this now a popular method of teaching elementary set theory and writing elementary proofs?

I haven't looked at materials for that subject in the past 20 years. The use of the "A = {x:...}" type of notation is very old, but in some posts I see that people are encouraged to write proofs that consist exclusively of "steps" that use that notation. Unlike the old fashioned "steps and reasons" form of proof used in secondary school, these "set builder" "proofs" often don't give a reason for each step.

The specialized methods used by the educational community to do proofs are compromises between two goals. 1. Having the student demonstrate an understanding of the material. 2. Using a format that is easy to grade ! These two goals are somewhat at odds with each other. Things that are easy to grade tend to be abbreviated and sometimes students who don't competely understand what they are doing can still write down the right symbols. However, compromises must be made in teaching classes. It seems to me that proofs in "set builder" notation are such a compromise.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

"Set builder notation" is neither a method of teaching set theory nor a means of proof. It is, just as the name says, a notation of writing and specifying sets. "The set of all even numbers" would be written, in set builder notation, as {x| x=2n, n an integer}. That would be read as "the set of all x such that x is 2 times an integer".

HallsofIvy said:
"Set builder notation" is neither a method of teaching set theory nor a means of proof.

The would be opinion of my generation. In fact, I don't recalled seeing the terminology "set builder notation" in any textbook. I'm merely curious whether modern textbooks have begun to use that terminology and emphasize it.

I remember the precise phrase "set builder notation" in algebra and precalculus book back to 20 years ago.

I have also seen a few books that I wouldn't consider "modern" using set builder notation and the associated terminology. A proof must stand on its own, as it where, and be understandable in isolation. Perhaps you are referring to cases where the "steps" themselves are sufficient to understand the proofs without requiring further elucidation.

HallsofIvy said:
I remember the precise phrase "set builder notation" in algebra and precalculus book back to 20 years ago.

That would be be long after I was reading such books!

Hootenanny said:
A proof must stand on its own, as it where, and be understandable in isolation. Perhaps you are referring to cases where the "steps" themselves are sufficient to understand the proofs without requiring further elucidation.

In education, the standard for what can be done without further elucidation is quite variable and heavily influenced by the goal of making proofs easy to grade. (For example, the old fashioned way of "proving" trigonometric identities begins with two non-identical expressions set equal, or set equal with a question mark over the equal sign. It proceeds to use "steps" to arrive at two identical expressions. A real proof would have to reverse the process. Not all mathematical "steps" are reversible and a real proof would have to demonstrate the reasoning worked in the correct order. However, it is far easier to grade work that is done the old fashioned way and students like it better since it involves less labor.)

Specifically, I am curious whether some instructors teach a format for proofs in elementary set theory that abbreviates most of the work to manipulations of the "set builder" notation for sets. I see various posts about set theory homework questions, where the poster has attempted to write such an abbreviated proof. I don't know if this shows a common type of confusion that afflicts students or whether it shows attempts to imitate a style that has been taught in class.

1. What is set builder notation and how is it used in mathematical proofs?

Set builder notation is a way to describe a set by specifying the properties or characteristics that its elements must possess. It is typically used in mathematical proofs to define a set and its elements, and to provide a concise and precise way to describe sets without having to list out all of its elements.

2. How do you read and interpret set builder notation?

Set builder notation is read as "the set of all elements such that..." and is followed by the conditions or properties that the elements must satisfy. For example, the set of even numbers can be written as {x | x is an even number} or {x : x is even}.

3. What are the advantages of using set builder notation in proofs?

Set builder notation allows for a more concise and precise way to define sets and their elements. It also allows for easier manipulation and manipulation of sets in mathematical proofs, as it provides a clear and unambiguous way to describe sets.

4. Can set builder notation be used for infinite sets?

Yes, set builder notation can be used for infinite sets. For example, the set of all positive integers can be written as {x | x is a positive integer} or {x : x > 0}.

5. How do you prove that a set satisfies the conditions specified in set builder notation?

To prove that a set satisfies the conditions in set builder notation, one must show that all elements of the set possess the specified properties. This can be done through logical reasoning, mathematical operations, or other techniques depending on the specific conditions given in the notation.