Set Theory: Is {a} a Subset of {S}?

In summary, the question is asking to find a pair set where {a} belongs to the set but {a} is not a subset of S. The proposed solution of S = {{a}, b} is not entirely correct as {a} is not a subset of S, but rather an element. The correct subsets for {{a}, b} would be {{a}, b}, {{a}}, {b}, and ø.
Panphobia

Homework Statement

I am not sure if set theory is precalc or not but here is my question.

Find a pair set such that {a} belongs to the set and {a} is not a subset of S.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I thought that a set like this would work S = {{a}, b} because {a} belongs to the set, but in order for {a} to be a subset it has to be wrapped in more brackets so {{a}} is a subset. Am I right? If not what did I state that was wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The example you have chosen is alright ,but the reasoning doesn't looks okay .For {a} to be a subset , 'a' should be an element of the set ,not {{a}} .For example for the set {a,b} , the subsets can be {a,b},{a},{b},ø . For set {{a},b} , the subsets can be {{a},b} , {{a}} ,{b} , ø .

Yea I realized my explanation was wrong but ny reasoning was the same as yours

Related to Set Theory: Is {a} a Subset of {S}?

1. What is a subset in set theory?

A subset in set theory is a collection of elements that are all included in another set. In other words, all the elements of a subset are also elements of the larger set.

2. How can I determine if a set is a subset of another set?

To determine if a set is a subset of another set, you can compare the elements of the two sets. If all the elements of the first set are also present in the second set, then the first set is a subset of the second set.

3. What does the notation {a} ⊆ {S} mean?

The notation {a} ⊆ {S} means that the set containing only the element "a" is a subset of the set {S}.

4. Is the empty set ∅ a subset of every set?

Yes, the empty set is considered a subset of every set because it does not contain any elements, therefore all its elements are also present in any other set.

5. Can a set be a subset of itself?

Yes, a set can be a subset of itself. This is known as the subset relation and is denoted as {A} ⊆ {A}. In this case, all the elements of set A are also elements of set A, making it a subset of itself.