Are the following statements true? (1) a∈{{a},{a,b}} and (2) b∈{{a},{a,b}} true?

• Thread starter john-ice2023
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set theory
john-ice2023
TL;DR Summary: Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better. Albert Einstein.

I am new to set theory. I got confused about above questions.
For Q(1), I have two solutions,
(a) because a is not the element of set {{a},{a,b}}, so a∈{{a},{a,b}} is False.
(b) because {a}∈{{a},{a,b}} and a∈{a}, therefore a∈{{a},{a,b}} is True.
which one is correct?
Thanks! John.

(MENTOR note): looks like homework so moved to a HW forum but template is missing.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Likes nuuskur
Physics news on Phys.org
This looks like a homework problem. We are only allowed to give hints after we see your work. There is a format for homework questions.
In your work, you should state exactly what the members of the set {{a}, {a,b}} are.

This is not homework. I saw it on the Internet. I just want to learn something new.

john-ice2023 said:
This is not homework. I saw it on the Internet. I just want to learn something new.
Yes, but the problem is that we have no way of confirming that so when it even LOOKS like a homework problem, we do ask that the poster show some effort on their own rather than just asking for an answer.

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker
Its pretty straight forward by understanding the set notation and definition
- a is an element
- {a} is a set containing the element a
- {{a}} is a set containing the set {a} which contains the element a

so:

- is a and element of the set {a}?

- is a an element of the set {{a}}?

- is {a} and element of the set {{a}}?

What do you think the answers are?

Likes phinds and FactChecker
## a ## belongs to ## \{ a \} ##, but ## a ## is not equal to ## \{ a \} ##.

john-ice2023 said:
TL;DR Summary: Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better. Albert Einstein.

I am new to set theory. I got confused about above questions.
For Q(1), I have two solutions,
(a) because a is not the element of set {{a},{a,b}}, so a∈{{a},{a,b}} is False.
(b) because {a}∈{{a},{a,b}} and a∈{a}, therefore a∈{{a},{a,b}} is True.
which one is correct?
Thanks! John.

(MENTOR note): looks like homework so moved to a HW forum but template is missing.
Here's an analogy. The Rugby World Cup is on at the moment. We have a set of twenty teams in the competition. Each team is a set of about 30 players. So, if ##a## is a player, then ##a## may be a member of one of the teams. But ##a## is a not a team. So, ##a## is not a member of the set of teams.

Now, having a set with a single member may seem to cloud the issue. If one of these countries had so few rugby players, that their team consisted of a single player, then in everyday language that player is the team! But, mathematics isn't about everyday language. Mathematics is about precise, formal definitions. And, in terms of set theory, there is still a clear distinction between a player and a team consisting of a single player!

Likes FactChecker, SammyS and jbriggs444
IIRC, {{a},{a, b }} is a way of defining the ordered pair (a,b).

Likes e_jane

1. Is a an element of the set {{a},{a,b}}?

Yes, a is an element of the set {{a},{a,b}} because it is contained within the set as one of its elements.

2. Is b an element of the set {{a},{a,b}}?

Yes, b is an element of the set {{a},{a,b}} because it is also contained within the set as one of its elements.

3. Is the statement "a∈{{a},{a,b}}" true?

Yes, the statement "a∈{{a},{a,b}}" is true because it is a valid mathematical statement that follows the definition of an element being contained within a set.

4. Is the statement "b∈{{a},{a,b}}" true?

Yes, the statement "b∈{{a},{a,b}}" is true because it also follows the definition of an element being contained within a set.

5. Are the statements "a∈{{a},{a,b}}" and "b∈{{a},{a,b}}" both true?

Yes, both statements are true because both a and b are elements of the set {{a},{a,b}}.