Set Theory Question: a ∩ b ⊆ a

In summary: De Morgan's laws are similar because they are algebraic ways to say that a point which is not in the union of 2 sets is not in either of the sets.In summary, the formula A ∩ B ⊆ A is correct because all elements of set A intersected with set B is a subset of set A. This can be proven by considering the definition of "subset" and using an example. Additionally, the similarity between Boolean logic and set theory can be seen through the use of truth values and De Morgan's laws.
YoshiMoshi

Homework Statement

I'm reviewing my powerpoints from class and see the formula A ∩ B ⊆ A. Is this a correct formula? I interpret this as all elements of set A intersected with set B is a subset of set A. I don't think this is a true statement, is it? Sorry it's been a while since I have studied set theory, probably back in high school days or so. I don't see how it could be true because elements of B are not necessarily elements of just A alone.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
YoshiMoshi said:

Homework Statement

I'm reviewing my powerpoints from class and see the formula A ∩ B ⊆ A. Is this a correct formula? I interpret this as all elements of set A intersected with set B is a subset of set A. I don't think this is a true statement, is it? Sorry it's been a while since I have studied set theory, probably back in high school days or so. I don't see how it could be true because elements of B are not necessarily elements of just A alone.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What does A-intersect-B MEAN to you?

To me A intersect B is something like this
155px-Venn_A_subset_B.svg.png

visual representation where A intersect B is the whole entire circle with all space in A and B included

That's why I don't understand, if I use this meaning and visual aid then certainly the space in B is not a subset of A. I don't understand why the equation would be true using this visual aid.

YoshiMoshi said:
To me A intersect B is something like this
155px-Venn_A_subset_B.svg.png

visual representation where A intersect B is the whole entire circle with all space in A and B included

That's why I don't understand, if I use this meaning and visual aid then certainly the space in B is not a subset of A. I don't understand why the equation would be true using this visual aid.
No. It looks like you're thinking of union, not intersection.

I see this
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=(a+intersection+b)+subset+a
I understand in the vendiagram that it is true. However in the case of the picture posted previously

were B is considered the all the space inside B excluding the space in A (a circle with a hole in it)
A is considered it's on space independent of the space in B
then A intersect B is all the space in B plus the hole filled in as a solid circle

Ahhh this picture is a bad representation I think it makes since now A intersect B is were the space in A "overlaps the space in B" making the equation true. That was never to clear to me. Sorry for tangent question.

I think its better thought of as truth densities were A intersect B is the truth density of A and B occurring at the same time making the truth density of A a subs set of the truth density of both A and B occurring.

I always wondered, why is Boolean logic similar to set theory representation? I remember studying De Morgan's law in both digital logic class and some linear algebra class.

Thanks for the help!

YoshiMoshi said:
I see this
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=(a+intersection+b)+subset+a
I understand in the vendiagram that it is true. However in the case of the picture posted previously

were B is considered the all the space inside B excluding the space in A (a circle with a hole in it)
A is considered it's on space independent of the space in B
then A intersect B is all the space in B plus the hole filled in as a solid circle
No! "A intersect B" is, by definition, the set of all points that are both set A and set B. In this case, that is exactly set A, not set B.
You can prove that [itex]A\cap B\subseteq A[/itex] by "Let x be a point in [itex]A\cap B[/itex]. Then x is in both A and B. In particular x is in A. Since x can be any element of [itex]A\cap B[/itex] any member of [itex]A\cap B[/itex] is a member of A, by definition of "subset", [itex]A\cap B\subseteq A[/itex].
Ahhh this picture is a bad representation I think it makes since now A intersect B is were the space in A "overlaps the space in B" making the equation true. That was never to clear to me. Sorry for tangent question.

I think its better thought of as truth densities were A intersect B is the truth density of A and B occurring at the same time making the truth density of A a subs set of the truth density of both A and B occurring.

I always wondered, why is Boolean logic similar to set theory representation? I remember studying De Morgan's law in both digital logic class and some linear algebra class.

Thanks for the help!
I have no idea what "truth densities" are. Perhaps it is a translation problem. Boolean logic is "similar" to set theory because Boolean logic has 2 values, "true", and "false" while a point can be in or not in a given set.

Related to Set Theory Question: a ∩ b ⊆ a

1. What is "a ∩ b" in set theory?

"a ∩ b" is the intersection of sets A and B. This means it is the set of all elements that are common to both sets A and B.

2. What does the symbol "⊆" mean in set theory?

The symbol "⊆" is used to represent the subset relation in set theory. It means that all the elements in the set on the left side of the symbol are also present in the set on the right side of the symbol.

3. How do you read "a ∩ b ⊆ a"?

"a ∩ b ⊆ a" is read as "the intersection of sets A and B is a subset of set A".

4. What does it mean if "a ∩ b ⊆ a" is true?

If "a ∩ b ⊆ a" is true, it means that all the elements in the intersection of sets A and B are also elements of set A. In other words, set A contains all the elements that are common to both sets A and B.

5. Can "a ∩ b ⊆ a" be false?

Yes, "a ∩ b ⊆ a" can be false if there are elements in the intersection of sets A and B that are not present in set A. In this case, set A would not be a subset of the intersection of sets A and B.