Set Theory Proof: Prove g is Surj. if g∘f is Surjective

In summary, if g\circf is surjective, then g must be surjective. This can be proven via the contrapositive, where for any z\inZ, there exists y = f(x) such that z = g(y). Additionally, this proof can also be shown using sets, where g(f(A)) = C and f(A)⊆B, which implies that C = g(B) and therefore g must be surjective.
anonymity
Prove that if g[itex]\circ[/itex]f is surjective, then g must be surjective.

I know that one valid proof of this statement is acquired via the contrapositive, what I am not sure of is if the following proof is flawed (if it is, please say why):

Suppose z[itex]\in[/itex]Z. Since g [itex]\circ[/itex] f is surjective, there exists x[itex]\in[/itex]X such that g[itex]\circ[/itex] f(x) = z. Equivalently, for f(x) = y, we have that g(y) = z. Now for any z[itex]\in[/itex]Z there exists y = f(x) such that z = g(y), and that g is surjective.

Physics news on Phys.org
I prefer using sets to prove it.

If gof is surjective : f:A to B and g: B to C so therefore;

g(f(A)) = C. And we also know that f(A)⊆B, now try to complete the proof using what u know in sets.

Last edited:
anonymity said:
Prove that if g[itex]\circ[/itex]f is surjective, then g must be surjective.

I know that one valid proof of this statement is acquired via the contrapositive, what I am not sure of is if the following proof is flawed (if it is, please say why):

Suppose z[itex]\in[/itex]Z. Since g [itex]\circ[/itex] f is surjective, there exists x[itex]\in[/itex]X such that g[itex]\circ[/itex] f(x) = z. Equivalently, for f(x) = y, we have that g(y) = z. Now for any z[itex]\in[/itex]Z there exists y = f(x) such that z = g(y), and that g is surjective.
Yes, this is a perfectly valid proof. Although, I would say "let y= f(x)" rather than "for f(x)= y".

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, this is a perfectly valid proof. Although, I would say "let y= f(x)" rather than "for f(x)= y".

I believe this is easier proof if he's familiar to sets.
g(f(A)) = C.
We also know: f(A)⊆B, which means: g(f(A))⊆g(B). g(B)⊆C, by definition.

All together:
C = g(f(A)) ⊆ g(B) ⊆ C which implies: C = g(B)

That's correct i believe right?

1. What does it mean for a function to be surjective?

A function is considered surjective if every element in the range of the function is mapped to by at least one element in the domain. In other words, for every element in the output, there is at least one input that produces that output.

2. What is the composition of functions?

The composition of functions is a mathematical operation where the output of one function is used as the input for another function. This is denoted as (g∘f)(x) and read as "g composed with f of x".

3. How do you prove that a function is surjective?

To prove that a function is surjective, you must show that for every element in the range of the function, there exists at least one element in the domain that maps to it. This can be done by using a proof by contradiction, where you assume that there is an element in the range with no corresponding input in the domain, and then show that this assumption leads to a contradiction.

4. Can you prove that g is surjective if g∘f is surjective?

Yes, this can be proven by using a proof by contradiction. Assume that g is not surjective, meaning there is at least one element in the range of g that has no corresponding input in the domain. Then, by the definition of composition, there must also be at least one element in the range of g∘f that has no corresponding input in the domain of f. This contradicts the assumption that g∘f is surjective, so our initial assumption must be false and g must be surjective.

5. What are some real-world applications of set theory and surjective functions?

Set theory and surjective functions have many practical applications, such as in computer science for data organization and retrieval, in economics for modeling supply and demand, and in statistics for analyzing data sets. They are also used in various fields of science, such as biology, chemistry, and physics, to understand and model complex systems. Additionally, surjective functions are used in cryptography for secure communication and in graph theory for network analysis.