Setting Off RFID Alarms: Causes & Solutions

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rfid
In summary, the speaker has a wallet that sets off RFID detectors and they are wondering why it would continue to do so even after being deactivated. They speculate that some action they took might have reactivated the signal or a chip in the wallet may be the cause. Another person suggests that there may be a thin RFID tag stuck inside the wallet that is causing the issue.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi, I am almost completely ignorant on any Physics beyond the high school level. Not proud of it, but it is a fact.
But I am curious about this:
While at a bookstore, I set off the RFID detector. I found out, by trial and error, that (something in) my wallet was setting it off, but not clear on precisely what. The security guy deactivated my wallet at this point , and then the wallet stopped setting the alarm off. **BUT** a few days afterwards, the problem reoccurred, i.e., my wallet set off the RFID alarm again . This seems to imply that something I did in the meantime, after deactivating up to the second alarm, may have reactivated the RFID signal, or possibly some chip in my wallet ( I don't think the one in my shoulder was setting things up --ha-ha).
What possible explanation is there for this, assuming the alarm is working reasonably well ( which does seem to be the case.)
Thank You in Advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I had a similar problem with a wallet a few years back. It would only set off a few of the detectors at the mall, but it was pretty annoying. I finally found the very thin RFID tag stuck between a couple layers deep inside the wallet. Maybe see if you can dig your way far enough inside to get to it. Otherwise, maybe ask the same place to try deactivating it again. In general that blows a diode, I believe, so it should not self-heal...

Likes WWGD

1. What causes RFID alarms to go off in the first place?

RFID alarms are triggered when an RFID tag is detected by an RFID reader. This happens when the electromagnetic field created by the reader activates the tag's antenna, causing it to transmit its unique identifying information back to the reader.

2. How do clothing stores prevent RFID alarms from going off when customers leave with tagged items?

Clothing stores use RFID deactivation machines to deactivate the tags before customers leave the store. These machines emit a strong electromagnetic field that disrupts the tag's ability to transmit information, essentially "turning off" the tag.

3. Can other electronic devices or objects set off RFID alarms?

Yes, other electronic devices or objects with RFID tags can also set off RFID alarms. This could include items such as credit cards, driver's licenses, or even passports that have RFID technology embedded in them.

4. What can cause false alarms with RFID technology?

False alarms can be caused by interference from nearby metal objects or other radio frequency signals. Additionally, if RFID tags are not properly deactivated or removed from items, they can trigger alarms even after they have been purchased.

5. How can RFID alarms be prevented from going off unintentionally?

To prevent unintentional RFID alarms, it is important to properly deactivate or remove RFID tags from items before leaving a store. Additionally, stores can use anti-jamming technology to prevent interference from other electronic devices or objects.