Sgr A Relativistic Jets Visible?

In summary, the visibility of the relativistic jets emitted by Sgr A from a 90 degree angle would depend on their size and brightness. While it is possible to see them with the unaided eye if they are large and bright enough, it is unlikely to occur anytime soon due to the lack of matter falling into the black hole. However, there may be a chance to see such jets when the Milky Way merges with Andromeda in the distant future.
D English
Hello,

Question: If Sgr A were to emit relativistic jets, say... to a 90 degree angle from what we see as the Milky Way, how visible would that be to us on Earth?

The pictures I see on the internet suggest that the jets are about twice as long as galaxies themselves. This makes me think that the light-show would be tremendous.

Space news on Phys.org
It's a little difficult to find such jets because they're only emitted while the black hole is gobbling up matter, and the supermassive black hole at the center of our galaxy hasn't been doing much of that lately. However, there is some evidence of jets from combining Chandra and VLA data:
http://www.chandra.harvard.edu/photo/2013/sgra/

Thanks Chalnoth!

I should have been more clear. I mean, would we see the jets in our sky?

For example, if Sgr A were doing this:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d2/ESO_Centaurus_A_LABOCA.jpg

ESO_Centaurus_A_LABOCA.jpg

Last edited:
D English said:
Thanks Chalnoth!

I should have been more clear. I mean, would we see the jets in our sky?

For example, if Sgr A were doing this:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d2/ESO_Centaurus_A_LABOCA.jpg

ESO_Centaurus_A_LABOCA.jpg
Do you mean would it be visible with the unaided eye? Certainly if the jets were large and bright enough, we could see them without telescopes and in visible light. But it seems pretty unlikely that this will happen for the Milky Way any time soon, as it requires a huge amount of matter falling into the black hole to make for a show like the one in the above picture. Maybe there will be some visible jets created when the Milky Way merges with Andromeda in a billion years or so.

1. What is Sgr A?

Sgr A is the abbreviation for Sagittarius A, which is a supermassive black hole located at the center of our Milky Way galaxy.

2. What are relativistic jets?

Relativistic jets are powerful and highly energetic streams of particles that are emitted from the poles of black holes or other astronomical objects. They travel at close to the speed of light and can extend for thousands of light-years.

3. How are Sgr A relativistic jets visible?

Sgr A relativistic jets are visible through the emission of high-energy particles, such as gamma rays and X-rays, as well as through their interaction with surrounding matter. The jets can also be observed through their effects on nearby gas and dust, which can be imaged using radio telescopes.

4. What causes Sgr A relativistic jets to form?

The exact cause of Sgr A relativistic jets is still not fully understood. However, it is believed that they are formed by the intense gravitational and magnetic forces near the black hole, which accelerate particles to high speeds and propel them outward along the poles.

5. Why is studying Sgr A relativistic jets important?

Studying Sgr A relativistic jets can provide valuable insights into the physics of black holes and the processes involved in their formation and evolution. These jets also have a significant impact on the surrounding galaxy and can influence the formation of stars and the distribution of matter. Understanding Sgr A relativistic jets can also help us better understand the role of black holes in the evolution of galaxies.