Shaft/Axle Degrees: Help Finding Solution

• Thread starter Omg999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degrees
In summary, The individual is seeking assistance with a task involving calculations on a shaft. They have already calculated bending/shear stress and torsion stress, but are now stuck on finding the degree of twist between two points. They have provided a diagram and formula for reference and are hoping someone can assist them in finding the answer.
Omg999
Hi!
I need help with a task. I have done previous calculations on the shaft, but I'm stuck now, as I'm going to find out how many degrees the shaft is twisting from point C to D. I have calculated bending/shear stress, torsion stress and the last stress that i don't know in english, but the formula is like this:
upload_2019-3-8_17-53-13.png

So I am wondering if anyone has done this before?

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-8_17-51-14.png
    upload_2019-3-8_17-51-14.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 302
  • upload_2019-3-8_17-53-13.png
    upload_2019-3-8_17-53-13.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 374
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Can you post a diagram of the shaft and how it is being held and torqued? Use the UPLOAD button in the lower right of the Edit window to attach a PDF or JPEG file to your reply. Thanks.

Thank you! :)

The picture of the shaft with belt transmission is showed in task 6.1 The describtion is in norwegian, as I'm from Norway. I have done task a) b) c) and d). Now, task e) says: How many degrees will the shaft twist between point C and D? Elastic modul is given 81.300 N/mm^2.

Please see the other picture with the equation marked in red: I think that is the correct formula to use, but I can't seem to get a realistic answer.. The answer should me 0,... something but I get 58.8.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 311
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 294
Do you know about theta=T*L/(J*G)?

1. What is the purpose of shaft/axle degrees?

Shaft/axle degrees refer to the angle at which a shaft or axle is positioned in relation to the ground. This angle is important for ensuring proper weight distribution and stability in various mechanical systems, such as vehicles and machines.

2. How do I determine the correct shaft/axle degrees for my project?

The correct shaft/axle degrees will depend on the specific requirements and design of your project. Factors such as weight distribution, desired speed and maneuverability, and the type of terrain the system will be operating on should be taken into consideration. It is best to consult with a mechanical engineer or use specialized software to determine the optimal shaft/axle degrees for your project.

3. Can I change the shaft/axle degrees after the system has been built?

In most cases, it is not recommended to change the shaft/axle degrees after the system has been built. This is because the angle is crucial for maintaining stability and changing it could cause the system to become unbalanced and potentially unsafe. However, if necessary, it is possible to make minor adjustments to the angle, but it should be done carefully and with the guidance of a professional.

4. Are there different types of shaft/axle degrees?

Yes, there are various types of shaft/axle degrees, such as positive, negative, and zero degrees. Positive degrees refer to an angle where the front of the shaft/axle is higher than the back, negative degrees refer to an angle where the back is higher than the front, and zero degrees refer to an angle where the shaft/axle is parallel to the ground.

5. What are some common problems that can arise from incorrect shaft/axle degrees?

If the shaft/axle degrees are incorrect, it can lead to issues such as poor weight distribution, reduced stability, and difficulty maneuvering. It can also cause excessive wear and tear on the system, leading to potential breakdowns or malfunctions. Therefore, it is crucial to ensure the correct shaft/axle degrees are used for optimal performance and safety.