Help with Material Selection Process

In summary, the maximum stress due to bending on the shaft in question by using σ_max = (M_max*y)/I where σ is stress, M is bending moment, y is distance from the neutral axis (aka radius of shaft), and I is polar moment of interia. I got σ = 31.2 MPa. This is where I'm stuck. Now that I have this stress, how do I choose a material? Do I just look at yield strength?
chessguy103
Hi all,

I'm working on designing a device, and I'm having trouble with material selection for a shaft, modeled below.
1618602281239.png

I have found the maximum stress due to bending on the shaft in question by using

σ_max = (M_max*y)/I

where σ is stress, M is bending moment, y is distance from the neutral axis (aka radius of shaft), and I is polar moment of interia.

I got σ = 31.2 MPa. This is where I'm stuck. Now that I have this stress, how do I choose a material? Do I just look at yield strength?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
You should also check the deflection. But generally yes, compare the maximum stress with yield strength.

Likes chessguy103
Thank you.

And once I find the deflection, what do I do with that value?

chessguy103 said:
And once I find the deflection, what do I do with that value?
Does the shaft rotate? At what RPM?
Is the shaft subject to axial forces?

In the scenario I'm looking at, no it doesn't rotate. I'm trying to model a hand winch with a force applied through the rope, but with the brake activated so that no parts are moving.

chessguy103 said:
I'm trying to model a hand winch with a force applied through the rope, but with the brake activated so that no parts are moving.
Warning. There is a hidden trap here.
To prevent damage to the (wire?) rope, the shaft = drum = spool must have a large radius. It will therefore be fabricated from a hollow tube. How thick must the tube wall be? The tension in the rope, multiplied by the maximum number of turns will provide an external hoop compressive force to the drum. That will cause the drum to fail through external compression, long before the shaft deflects.

Likes chessguy103
I’m modeling my winch based on a winch that I bought and disassembled. It had a hollow drum, but inside the hollow drum was another hollow tube to allow for spinning. Inside the second hollow tube there was a bolt that went through the tube (and therefore the drum), and held everything together against the shell.

The compression force makes sense, and i should add that to the model. But would failure through external compression be that much of an issue in this case?

chessguy103 said:
But would failure through external compression be that much of an issue in this case?
It is n times more significant than the deflection; where n is the number of turns posible on the drum.

Likes chessguy103
Also, let’s say tension on the rope is 1000 N. If the total number of turns on the drum is 20, then the compressive force is 20000 N? I assume that would be applied as a uniform distributed load across the surface area of the drum, in addition to the 1000 point load tension?

20 turns at 1000 N tension will be 20 kN as a hoop stress around the outer surface of the drum. The drum section is under that hoop compression, as if an external pressure was being applied to the drum surface.

FYI: https://www.irjet.net/archives/V6/i4/IRJET-V6I4746.pdf

Likes chessguy103

1. What is the material selection process?

The material selection process is a systematic approach to selecting the most suitable material for a specific application or product. It involves considering various factors such as mechanical properties, cost, availability, and environmental impact to make an informed decision.

2. Why is the material selection process important?

The material selection process is important because choosing the wrong material can lead to product failure, increased costs, and potential safety hazards. By carefully considering all relevant factors, the material selection process helps ensure the best possible material is chosen for a given application.

3. What are the steps involved in the material selection process?

The material selection process typically involves the following steps: identifying the requirements and constraints of the application, researching and evaluating potential materials, conducting tests and simulations, and making a final decision based on the gathered data.

4. How do I determine which material is best for my project?

To determine the best material for your project, you should first identify the specific requirements and constraints of your application. Then, research and compare different materials based on their properties and how well they meet your requirements. It may also be helpful to consult with experts or conduct tests to make a final decision.

5. Can I use the same material for different applications?

It is possible to use the same material for different applications, but it is important to carefully consider each application's unique requirements. The material may need to be modified or treated differently to ensure it performs well in each application. It is always best to consult with experts and conduct thorough testing before using the same material for multiple applications.