Shankar 14.4.1 using Ehrenfest's Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving the Hamiltonian (H), magnetic field (B), angular momentum operator (L), magnetic moment (mu), and gyromagnetic ratio (gamma) using Ehrenfest's theorem. The solution involves calculating the commutation relation between H and L and using the fact that L has no explicit time dependence. Upon finding a mistake in the initial calculation, the correct solution is obtained by considering the commutation relation between H and L as well as the angular momentum commutation relations.
Jolb

Homework Statement

Show that if
[tex]H = -\gamma\mathbf{L\cdot B}[/tex], and B is position independent,

[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d} \left \langle \mathbf{L} \right \rangle}{\mathrm{d} t}=\left \langle \boldsymbol\mu \times\mathbf{B} \right \rangle=\left \langle \boldsymbol\mu \right \rangle\times\mathbf{B}[/tex]

Here H is the Hamiltonian, B is the magnetic field, L is the angular momentum operator, mu is the magnetic moment, and gamma is the gyromagnetic ratio.

I want to solve this using Ehrenfest's theorem.

Homework Equations

[tex]\boldsymbol\mu=\gamma\mathbf{L}[/tex]

[tex][L_i,L_j]=i\hbar\epsilon_{ijk}L_k[/tex]
(the fancy way of writing the usual angular momentum commutation relations)

and Ehrenfest's theorem:
[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d} \left \langle Q \right \rangle}{\mathrm{d} t} = \frac{i}{\hbar}\left \langle [H,Q] \right \rangle+\left \langle \frac{\partial Q}{\partial t} \right \rangle[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, L has no explicit time dependence so the last term in Ehrenfest's theorem cancels. I seem to be getting a factor of 2 in [H,L] that shouldn't be there:

The x component of [H,L] is:
[tex][H,L]_x=\gamma\left ( L_xL_xB_x+L_xL_yB_y+L_xL_zB_z - L_xB_xL_x-L_yB_yL_x-L_zB_zL_x \right )[/tex]

[tex]=\gamma i\hbar\left ( L_zB_y-L_yB_z +L_zB_y-L_yB_z \right )[/tex]
Edit: ^^^^ This is my mistake.[tex]= 2i\hbar\left ( \mu_zB_y-\mu_yB_z \right )=\frac{2\hbar}{i}(\boldsymbol\mu\times\mathbf{B})_x[/tex]
and likewise for the other components.

Putting it together I get
[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d} \left \langle \mathbf{L} \right \rangle}{\mathrm{d} t}=\frac{i}{\hbar}\left \langle [H,L]\right \rangle=\frac{i}{\hbar}\left \langle \frac{2\gamma\hbar}{i}\mathbf{L}\times\mathbf{B} \right \rangle=\left \langle 2\boldsymbol\mu\times\mathbf{B} \right \rangle[/tex]

and I'm left with that pesky two.

Where did I go wrong?Edit: I found my error and pointed out where I went wrong above.

That line should be
[tex][H,\mathbf{L}]_x=\gamma\left ((L_xL_y-L_yL_x)B_y+(L_xL_z-L_zL_x)B_z \right )=\gamma \left (i\hbar L_zB_y-i\hbar L_yB_z \right )=\frac{\hbar}{i}(\boldsymbol\mu \times\mathbf{B})_x[/tex]
then everything works.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Your mistake is in the first step where you wrote [H,L]_x. The correct expression should be [H,L]_x=\gamma\left ( L_xL_xB_x+L_xL_yB_y+L_xL_zB_z - L_xB_xL_x-L_yB_yL_x-L_zB_zL_x \right )=\gamma i\hbar\left ( L_zB_y-L_yB_z +L_zB_y-L_yB_z \right )= 2\gamma i\hbar\left ( \mu_zB_y-\mu_yB_z \right )=2\gamma\hbar(\boldsymbol\mu\times\mathbf{B})_x
The extra factor of 2 comes from the fact that [L_i,L_j]=i\hbar\epsilon_{ijk}L_k is a sum over k, so when you expand the commutator [H,L]_x, you will have two terms with the same coefficient.

Related to Shankar 14.4.1 using Ehrenfest's Theorem

1. What is Shankar 14.4.1?

Shankar 14.4.1 refers to a specific equation in the textbook "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by Ramamurti Shankar. It is used to describe the time evolution of a quantum mechanical system.

2. What is Ehrenfest's Theorem?

Ehrenfest's Theorem is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between the expectation values of a quantum mechanical system and its corresponding classical system. It is named after Austrian physicist Paul Ehrenfest.

3. How is Shankar 14.4.1 used in conjunction with Ehrenfest's Theorem?

Shankar 14.4.1 is used to derive the equations of motion for expectation values of quantum mechanical observables, which can then be compared to the classical equations of motion for the same system. This allows for the study of the correspondence between quantum mechanics and classical mechanics.

4. Why is Shankar 14.4.1 using Ehrenfest's Theorem important?

Shankar 14.4.1 using Ehrenfest's Theorem is important because it helps bridge the gap between classical and quantum mechanics. It allows for the understanding of how classical behavior emerges from quantum systems and how classical systems can be described using quantum mechanical principles.

5. Are there any limitations to using Shankar 14.4.1 with Ehrenfest's Theorem?

Yes, there are limitations to using Shankar 14.4.1 with Ehrenfest's Theorem. It is only applicable to systems that can be described using a Hamiltonian, and it assumes that the system is in a pure state. It also does not take into account the effects of decoherence or external forces on the system.