Shape and 2D Lift Relationship

• Thread starter thatjazzdude89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Airfoil
In summary, the conversation discusses the complexity of calculating lift coefficients and the challenges of applying them to overall wing design. The speaker, who is a community college graduate and RC aircraft hobbyist, is curious about a simpler way to calculate lift coefficients using 2D equations such as the NACA equations. However, the other person in the conversation explains that even with advanced technologies like wind tunnels and CFD calculations, accurately determining lift coefficients remains a complicated process. Flight tests are often necessary to ensure the calculations are correct before proceeding with the design process.
thatjazzdude89
TL;DR Summary
How does the geometric shape of an airfoil effect 2D lift coefficient?
I’m aware that this is a simple question to a very complex question. However, I’m curious as to how to calculate a lift coefficient simply using a 2 dimensional equation or a series of 2 dimensional equations, such as the NACA equations. I’m somewhat familiar with the lift line theory, but to be honest it seems very complex and I am not aware of a simple and practical way to apply it. By this I mean; I would like to take the NACA or 2D airfoil equations and plug them into another set of equations to arrive at a usable result for overall wing design. I apologize for any ignorance on my part; I’m a community college graduate who enjoys designing RC aircraft as a hobby, so I have not taken any aerodynamics classes or training. Thanks for any assistance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, it doesn't get simpler-- it gets more complicated. In fact, that is why the wind tunnels are still so busy. Even the Navier-Stokes Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) calculations that supercomputer use are not completely reliable. The flight tests of a newly designed airplane are done in cautious steps to check that the aerodynamics calculations look ok to proceed to the next test step.

Likes berkeman, russ_watters and Klystron
FactChecker said:
Sorry, it doesn't get simpler-- it gets more complicated. In fact, that is why the wind tunnels are still so busy. Even the Navier-Stokes Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) calculations that supercomputer use are not completely reliable. The flight tests of a newly designed airplane are done in cautious steps to check that the aerodynamics calculations look ok to proceed to the next test step.
Keeps food on my table. 🤣

Likes berkeman

1. How does the shape of an object affect its lift?

The shape of an object plays a crucial role in determining its lift. A streamlined shape, such as an airfoil, allows for smooth airflow and creates a difference in air pressure, resulting in lift. In contrast, a blunt shape creates turbulence and reduces lift.

2. What is the relationship between the shape of an object and its lift coefficient?

The shape of an object directly affects its lift coefficient, which is a measure of the amount of lift generated. A streamlined shape has a higher lift coefficient compared to a blunt shape, as it creates a larger difference in air pressure.

3. Can the shape of an object be changed to increase its lift?

Yes, the shape of an object can be altered to increase its lift. By changing the shape to a more streamlined one, the object can generate more lift. This is commonly seen in aircraft design, where wings are designed to have a curved shape to create lift.

4. How does the angle of attack affect the shape and lift relationship?

The angle of attack, which is the angle between the object's surface and the direction of the airflow, also affects the shape and lift relationship. An increase in the angle of attack can change the shape of the airflow around the object, resulting in changes in lift. This is why adjusting the angle of attack is a common method to control the lift of an aircraft.

5. Are there any other factors that can influence the shape and lift relationship?

Yes, there are other factors that can influence the shape and lift relationship, such as the speed and density of the air, as well as the size and surface roughness of the object. These factors can affect the airflow and the resulting lift, and must be taken into consideration when studying the relationship between shape and lift.