Sharing a Percentage of Genes With Another Species

• Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Genes
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of genetic similarities between different species and how they are measured. It is mentioned that humans share a certain percentage of their genes with other species, but this percentage decreases as the species become more distantly related. There is also a discussion about the difference between comparing DNA sequences and comparing genes, and the importance of considering "junk DNA" in these comparisons. The conversation also touches on the topic of how closely related two species are based on the similarities and differences in the amino acid sequences of shared genes. Overall, the conversation highlights the complexity of genetic analysis and the importance of considering various factors when comparing genetic information between species.
Drakkith
Mentor
I commonly read that humans share a certain percentage of their genes with other species, with the exact amount becoming smaller for more distantly related species. What exactly does this mean? Is it talking about the actual base pairs of our DNA, or of something else? Links to further information are welcome!

Biology news on Phys.org
Do keep in mind that genetic similarities might not equate relatedness, just as genome size doesn't equate complexity (frogs have a far larger genome than you or I.) There are an increasing number of full genomes for species, which can be compared using complex specific programs. However, I think that it is more common for species to be compared on specific, key sequences in the genome.

Check this out for more on cross-species genetic analysis:
http://m.genome.cshlp.org/content/13/1/1.full
And the wiki page for "Competitive Genomics:"
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparative_genomics

Likes Drakkith
Drakkith said:
I commonly read that humans share a certain percentage of their genes with other species, with the exact amount becoming smaller for more distantly related species. What exactly does this mean? Is it talking about the actual base pairs of our DNA, or of something else? Links to further information are welcome!

You might imagine that right after speciation, two species are pretty similar in their DNA. But given time, each species may accumulate mutations at a different rate, so with time, comparison of genetic overlap becomes less representative of relatedness.

Also, when people make these statements, you have to be careful to note what exactly they're talking about. Some such statements exclude "junk DNA", which it turns out is not junk at all. Many of the differences between us and other apes have to do with how our genes are expressed more so than which genes are expressed and that's regulated by the so-called "junk DNA".

Pythagorean said:
Also, when people make these statements, you have to be careful to note what exactly they're talking about. Some such statements exclude "junk DNA", which it turns out is not junk at all. Many of the differences between us and other apes have to do with how our genes are expressed more so than which genes are expressed and that's regulated by the so-called "junk DNA".

I guess that's part of my question. Sometimes it's said that a percentage of our DNA is the same, sometimes its our genes. What's the difference, if any?

Drakkith said:
I guess that's part of my question. Sometimes it's said that a percentage of our DNA is the same, sometimes its our genes. What's the difference, if any?

I'd think saying 'percentage of DNA' is ambiguous - it could be referring to sample sequences, or genes, or SNPs, or a multitude of different DNA properties/components.
On a slight tangent (don't quote me on this as I haven't checked if it is true or not,) a gene has quite a large number of nucleotides,so I would think you are far more likely to see sequences conserved between two creatures than entire genes.

Drakkith said:

DNA is the "stuff" that genes are made of.

In order to figure out how closely related two species are, biologists will generally take a bunch of sequences of genes encoding protein that are shared between the species, align the sequences to figure out which amino acids in one species correspond to which amino acids in the other species, then look at the number and pattern of amino acid differences between the different species. Often, this comparison can be summarized by stating the percentage of amino acids that are identical between the two species or the percentage of amino acids that are similar (e.g. the amino acids are different but they share the same properties). Usually this comparison is done at the protein level because DNA sequences (especially non-coding DNA sequences) change fairly rapidly compared to the timescale of speciation.

Pythagorean said:
DNA is the "stuff" that genes are made of.

Of course.

Ygggdrasil said:
In order to figure out how closely related two species are, biologists will generally take a bunch of sequences of genes encoding protein that are shared between the species, align the sequences to figure out which amino acids in one species correspond to which amino acids in the other species, then look at the number and pattern of amino acid differences between the different species.

So there are differences in these amino acids, but they perform the same functions in both species?

Drakkith said:
So there are differences in these amino acids, but they perform the same functions in both species?
Yes. Proteins are fairly robust to mutation. Researchers have done studies to test what fraction of mutations impair the function of a protein, and have found that ~60% of amino acid substitutions have no measurable effect on the function of the protein (http://www.nature.com/nrg/journal/v11/n8/full/nrg2808.html). This ability of proteins to tolerate mutation and drift around sequence space is thought to help underlie their ability to evolve new functions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Pythagorean and Drakkith
Thanks!

1. How much of our DNA do we share with other species?

Humans share approximately 98.8% of their DNA with chimpanzees, 98.7% with gorillas, and 96.9% with orangutans. We also share a significant portion of our DNA with other species such as mice, fruit flies, and even plants.

2. Why do we share a percentage of genes with other species?

All living organisms on Earth share a common ancestor, which means we all evolved from the same genetic material. Over time, genetic mutations and natural selection led to the development of different species with varying levels of genetic similarity.

3. What are the implications of sharing genes with other species?

Sharing genes with other species can provide valuable insights into our evolutionary history and help us understand the genetic mechanisms behind certain traits and diseases. It also highlights the interconnectedness and diversity of life on our planet.

4. Can humans interbreed with other species due to our shared genes?

No, despite sharing a high percentage of genes with other species, interbreeding is not possible due to reproductive barriers. These can include physical differences, incompatible reproductive organs, and genetic incompatibilities.

5. Are there any ethical concerns surrounding sharing genes with other species?

There are ongoing debates and ethical considerations when it comes to genetic research involving other species. Some concerns include the potential for exploitation of animals and the creation of genetically modified organisms with unknown consequences.