Shear Force in an I-beam question

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the maximum shear force in a beam, with a specific focus on an I beam. The relevant equations used are I = d . b^3 / 12 and tmax = (F / I . b) . (A1 . y1) + (A2 . y2). The student is unsure if the maximum shear force should be taken from the shear force diagram or if it is the 15kN load at the point load. It is clarified that the load is not the shear force and the maximum shear force should be determined at the point where the load is applied.
ridiculoid

Homework Statement

[/B]
problem - https://imgur.com/34yTyCA

Homework Equations

I = d . b^3 / 12
tmax = (F / I . b) . (A1 . y1) + (A2 . y2)

The Attempt at a Solution

It is asking for the maximum shear FORCE in the beam. Do I take the maximum value from the shear force diagram as shown in my working? or is the maximum shear force the 15kN at the point Load?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shear force in I beam working - https://imgur.com/UCAexj6

Physics news on Phys.org
ridiculoid said:
is the maximum shear force the 15kN at the point Load?
The load is not the shear force. What is the shear force where the load is applied?

haruspex said:
The load is not the shear force. What is the shear force where the load is applied?

Ahh that makes sense! Thank you for the help.

1. What is shear force in an I-beam?

Shear force in an I-beam refers to the force that is parallel to the cross-section of the beam, causing it to bend or deform. It is a result of the applied load on the beam and can be calculated at any point along the length of the beam.

2. How is shear force calculated in an I-beam?

Shear force in an I-beam can be calculated by taking the sum of all the vertical forces acting on one side of the beam. This includes the weight of the beam itself, any additional loads, and reactions from supports.

3. What is the significance of shear force in an I-beam?

Shear force is an important factor in the design and analysis of I-beams as it determines the maximum load that the beam can withstand. It also helps engineers determine the appropriate size and shape of the beam for a given application.

4. How does the direction of shear force affect an I-beam?

The direction of shear force can greatly impact the strength and stability of an I-beam. If the shear force is applied in the same direction as the load, it can increase the bending moment and cause the beam to fail. However, if the shear force is applied in the opposite direction, it can help counteract the bending moment and increase the beam's strength.

5. What are some common factors that can affect shear force in an I-beam?

Some common factors that can affect shear force in an I-beam include the type and magnitude of the applied load, the length and size of the beam, the material properties of the beam, and the support conditions. It is important to consider all of these factors in the design and analysis of I-beams to ensure their structural integrity.