Shear stress in thin wall beams

In summary: The portion of the beam to the left or right of the section plane will depend on where the shear force V is applied. In summary, the question is to find the shear stress at points A, B, and C using sectioning planes aa, bb, and cc. The shear stress formula depends on the thickness and location of the sectioning plane, with higher stresses typically occurring in thinner materials. To determine which portion of the beam to consider as A', start from the nearest free end and work towards the section plane, taking into account the location of the applied shear force V.
princejan7

Homework Statement

http://postimg.org/image/9va37id55/
The question is to find the shear stress at the points A, B and C. The solution uses the sectioning planes aa, bb and cc to do so.

For example, at C, how should I know whether to use a horizontal or vertical sectioning plane. Also, how should I know which portion of the beam i would have to consider as A', the bit to the left or right of the sectioning plane ?

Homework Equations

Shear Stress(Flange) = q(Flange)/thickness(Flange)
where q(flange) = VQ(Flange)/I

Shear Stress(Web) = q(Web)/thickness(Web)
where q(Web) = VQ(Web)/I

V is the transverse shear force
Q = A'y" is the first area moments of the area A' with respect to the neutral axis

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
princejan7 said:

Homework Statement

http://postimg.org/image/9va37id55/
The question is to find the shear stress at the points A, B and C. The solution uses the sectioning planes aa, bb and cc to do so.

For example, at C, how should I know whether to use a horizontal or vertical sectioning plane.

Generally, you have the highest shear stresses acting on the thinnest material.

For example, the shear stress τ = VQ / (I t), so for a given shear force V, the smaller t is, the higher the stress τ.

Also, how should I know which portion of the beam i would have to consider as A', the bit to the left or right of the sectioning plane ?
The shear stress will be zero at any free ends of the section. Start from the nearest free end and work toward the section plane at which you wish to calculate the shear stress.

1. What is shear stress in thin wall beams?

Shear stress in thin wall beams is the internal force or stress that acts parallel to the cross-sectional area of the beam. It is caused by the external forces applied to the beam, such as bending, twisting, or shearing forces.

2. How is shear stress calculated in thin wall beams?

Shear stress in thin wall beams can be calculated by dividing the shear force by the cross-sectional area of the beam. This results in a shear stress value measured in units of force per area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (Pa).

3. What factors affect shear stress in thin wall beams?

The main factors that affect shear stress in thin wall beams include the magnitude and direction of the external forces applied to the beam, the cross-sectional area and shape of the beam, and the material properties of the beam such as its strength and stiffness.

4. How does shear stress impact the strength of thin wall beams?

Shear stress can significantly impact the strength of thin wall beams, especially when the stress exceeds the material's shear strength. This can lead to deformation, buckling, or failure of the beam. Therefore, it is important to consider shear stress when designing and analyzing thin wall beams.

5. What are some practical applications of shear stress in thin wall beams?

Shear stress in thin wall beams is a critical factor in many engineering applications, such as building construction, bridge design, and aircraft and spacecraft structures. It is also important in everyday objects, such as furniture, shelves, and support beams in buildings.