Shearing when bolts are arranged radially

In summary, The speaker is working on a final year project on the design of a plunger pump and is studying the loading on different joints in the pump, specifically the maximum torque load on the crankshaft and bolt shearing calculations for the input flange. They recall learning about bolt shearing in 1st year but did not take notes. They are looking for a good reference to read about this and are suggested to get CameronShigley's Mechanical Engineering Design book.
CameronRose
Hi folks,

I'm currently working on a final year project on the design of a plunger pump. The most recent area I have been studying is the loading on different joints in the pump. For a simplified example I have determined the maximum torque load on the crankshaft from the plungers for the desired operating pressure. Since the project is a design project I thought it would be interesting to also include some bolt shearing calculations to justify the design of the input flange on the pump.

I recall learning bolt shearing in 1st year however, that's only because the lecturer pronounced the word "bolts" as "balls", with hindsight I wish I had taken notes instead of laughed. I recall the formula T=τAnr where T=torque τ=shear stress A=cross sectional area of bolts n=number of bolts and r= radius of bolt placement.

Could someone please suggest a good reference where I can read about this? We have been told by the head of final year projects that projects submitted without a sufficient number of textbook references will lose marks.

Cameron

Engineering news on Phys.org
Shigley' Mechanical Engineering Design comes to mind. If you don't already have it, you should invest in it

Likes CameronRose

1. What is shearing when bolts are arranged radially?

Shearing when bolts are arranged radially refers to the force applied to a series of bolts that are arranged in a circular or radial pattern. This force is typically perpendicular to the axis of the bolts and can cause them to deform or fail.

2. What causes shearing in bolts arranged radially?

Shearing in bolts arranged radially is caused by external forces acting on the bolts, such as tension, compression, or torsion. These forces can cause the bolts to bend or break if they are not strong enough to withstand the load.

3. How is the shearing strength of bolts arranged radially calculated?

The shearing strength of bolts arranged radially is typically calculated using the formula τ = P/A, where τ is the shear stress, P is the applied load, and A is the cross-sectional area of the bolt. This calculation takes into account the material properties of the bolt and the applied force to determine the maximum load the bolt can withstand before failing due to shearing.

4. What are the factors that affect the shearing strength of bolts arranged radially?

The shearing strength of bolts arranged radially can be affected by various factors, including the material properties of the bolt, the geometry and size of the bolt, the type of load being applied, and the condition of the bolt (e.g. corrosion or defects). Other factors such as the installation method and the presence of additional shear planes can also impact the shearing strength of the bolts.

5. How can the shearing strength of bolts arranged radially be increased?

The shearing strength of bolts arranged radially can be increased by using stronger materials, increasing the size or number of bolts, or using alternative bolt patterns to distribute the load more evenly. Proper installation, maintenance, and inspection of the bolts can also help to prevent premature failure due to shearing.