Shear Area in Washer: Calculating Load and Area

• Thread starter sriram123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Shear
In summary, the conversation discusses the sizing of washers for a particular class of bolt, with a focus on the shear load and shear area. The speaker also clarifies a mistake they made in their previous statement about the shear load on the bolt instead of the washer.
sriram123
Hi all,
Just curious about how to size the thickness of washer for a particular class of bolt.(I'm not actually designing one but want to know how standard washers are sized.)I'm having a feeling that the washer will be under compression (Bearing surface of bolt head or nut).Bending will be there if the hole size for bolt is larger than hole size of washer.

My question is what will be the value of shear load on bolt and what will be its shear area (Will it be pi*d*t ? d being O.D. of washer and t being thickness of washer).

I'm a first yr student so i cannot clearly visualise the shear load in washer.

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
A correction.In my second para I mis typed as "shear load on bolt" actually i meant "shear load on washer" .

Sorry for the mistake.

Thanks in advance

Related to Shear Area in Washer: Calculating Load and Area

What is shear area in a washer?

Shear area in a washer is the cross-sectional area of the washer that is subject to shear stress. It is used to calculate the maximum load that can be applied to the washer before it fails.

How is shear area calculated?

Shear area is calculated by multiplying the thickness of the washer by the outer diameter of the washer. The resulting value is then multiplied by a correction factor, which takes into account the shape and size of the washer.

Why is it important to calculate shear area in a washer?

Calculating shear area is important because it allows engineers and scientists to determine the maximum load that a washer can withstand before failing. This is crucial in designing safe and efficient mechanical systems.

What is the difference between shear area and bearing area in a washer?

Shear area refers to the cross-sectional area of the washer that is subject to shear stress, while bearing area refers to the area that is in contact with the material it is bearing against. Shear area is typically smaller than bearing area, as it only considers the area that is under shear stress.

How does the material of the washer affect shear area?

The material of the washer can affect shear area because different materials have different shear strengths. This means that a washer made of a stronger material will have a higher shear area and can withstand a greater load before failing.