Shelving Pull Out Force Question

• Thread starter Andrew Gore
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Pull
In summary, the conversation involves someone seeking help with calculating the pull out force for a shelving issue. The shelving setup includes 2 uprights with adjustable feet and fixed to the wall, 5 shelves with 50kg weight each, and a 300mm protrusion from the upright. The individual is specifically looking for assistance in calculating the pullout force at f1 and f2 on the diagram, as well as the total CCW moment and reaction forces at F1 and F2.
Andrew Gore
Hi Guys,

I have been trying to figure out how to work out a pull out force load for a shelving issue I have. I have put together a rough sketch of what I have:

image1_zpsqfyrnkjh.jpg

I have 2 uprights sitting on the floor via adjustable feet and fixed to the wall at 1200mm and 2400mm. There are 5 shelves equally spaced with a 50kg weight on each shelf. The shelf protrudes 300mm from the upright.

I am trying to calculate the pullout force at f1 and and f2 on the diagram.

If anyone could help out I would appreciate this.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image1_zpsqfyrnkjh.jpg
    image1_zpsqfyrnkjh.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 759
Engineering news on Phys.org
Calculate the total CCW moment. Use this result to calculate the reaction forces at F1 and F2 needed to resist this CCW moment.

1. What is shelving pull out force?

Shelving pull out force is the amount of force required to pull a shelf or drawer out of its designated location. It is an important factor to consider when designing and installing shelves, as it affects the stability and usability of the shelving unit.

2. How is shelving pull out force measured?

Shelving pull out force is typically measured in pounds or kilograms. It can be measured using a force gauge or by applying a known force to the shelf and measuring the resulting movement or displacement.

3. What factors affect shelving pull out force?

Several factors can affect shelving pull out force, including the weight and distribution of items on the shelf, the type of shelving material, the design and construction of the shelving unit, and the installation method.

4. Why is shelving pull out force important?

Shelving pull out force is important because it directly impacts the safety and functionality of a shelving unit. If the pull out force is too low, the shelf may collapse or become unstable when items are placed on it. On the other hand, if the pull out force is too high, it may be difficult or even dangerous to pull the shelf out.

5. How can I increase shelving pull out force?

There are several ways to increase shelving pull out force, such as using stronger and thicker materials for the shelves and supports, reinforcing the shelving unit with additional brackets or braces, and ensuring proper installation and weight distribution of items on the shelf. It is important to consult with a professional or follow manufacturer guidelines when making modifications to shelving units to ensure safety and stability.