Resolving forces in the direction perpendicular to a line

In summary, the conversation is about finding the components of forces for F1 and F2 using the sine or cosine rule and drawing triangles. The person asking for help has already found the correct answer by drawing triangles and using basic trigonometry.
Bolter
Homework Statement
See below
Relevant Equations
N/A
Hi I'm very stuck on what to do for these 2 questions I got wrong

Screenshot 2020-10-16 at 12.17.44.png

Screenshot 2020-10-16 at 12.17.56.png

Can someone please help me on what triangle I need to sketch out in order to find the 2 components of forces for F1 and F2. I'm assuming you have to make use of the sine or cosine rule here

I'd be grateful for any help given! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done so far?
Remember that what counts here are the actual forces that are perpendicular to the levers, all respect to the fulcrum A.

Likes Bolter
What are the horizontal and vertical components of force F1?

I actually managed to find the right answer at the end by drawing triangles and labelling the forces that are perpendicular to the line AB. Then with some basic trig I got the force needed

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is the definition of a force perpendicular to a line?

A force perpendicular to a line is a force that acts at a right angle to the line, causing the line to rotate.

2. How do you resolve forces in the direction perpendicular to a line?

To resolve forces in the direction perpendicular to a line, you must first draw a diagram of the forces acting on the line. Then, you can use trigonometric functions to calculate the components of the forces in the perpendicular direction.

3. What is the purpose of resolving forces in the direction perpendicular to a line?

The purpose of resolving forces in the direction perpendicular to a line is to determine the individual components of the forces acting on the line. This can help in analyzing the overall forces and their effects on the line.

4. Can you resolve forces in the direction perpendicular to a line if the line is not horizontal or vertical?

Yes, you can resolve forces in the direction perpendicular to a line even if the line is not horizontal or vertical. The process is the same, but you may need to use more complex trigonometric calculations to determine the components of the forces.

5. How is resolving forces in the direction perpendicular to a line useful in real-world applications?

Resolving forces in the direction perpendicular to a line is useful in many real-world applications, such as engineering, architecture, and physics. It allows for a more accurate analysis of forces and their effects on structures and objects.