Shielding Dirty Electricity Ground Current

In summary, using rubber tires to shield a small area of land from magnetic fields caused by proximity to electricty will not work and may get you in trouble. A better option may be a Faraday cage.
svt
TL;DR Summary
Using rubber to shield a small area of land from magnetic fields caused by proximity to electricty.
Would using an insulator like rubber tires partly buried in the ground + partly protruding above the land surface to create a continuous perimeter around a piece of land possibly shield the land inside of it from the accumulation of charge on the surface of the Earth which occurs in the vicinity of electricity sources, and which can be measured with a gaussmeter? My understanding is that it is an accumulation of electrons that spread over the surface of the earth.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You mention ground currents, magnetic fields, accumulation of charge, using a Gaussmeter, etc. These are all pretty different things.

Can you tell us what the source of the electric (or magnetic?) fields is? How close is the source to the ground? What is the purpose of the shielding? Are your worms dying or something?

The dirty electricity that is on the surface of the Earth that creates a magnetic field which can be measured with a gaussmeter. The source is electricity - power lines, household electricity - as stated in my original question.

svt said:
The source is electricity - power lines, household electricity - as stated in my original question.
Well I'm still not seeing that in your OP, but whatever.
svt said:
The dirty electricity that is on the surface of the Earth that creates a magnetic field which can be measured with a gaussmeter.
What is your Gaussmeter reading? Is it AC or DC? Are the powerlines nearby high voltage transmission lines, or the supply lines to your home? What is in the dirt that you want to shield from this magnetic field?

Magnetic shielding involves using ferrous metal pieces to re-route the magnetic field around anything that you want to shield. There is good info at the website below about how magnetic shielding works:

https://www.magnetic-shield.com/all-about-shielding-faqs/

Can anyone answer my original question?

svt said:
Not really, no. You should respond to @berkeman 's questions. It seems like you may be trying to do something that won't work based on a concern about something that doesn't exist. I'd only add: where did you get your "understanding"? It looks pretty wrong.

Likes Rive, DaveE, berkeman and 1 other person
svt said:
Well, without more information from you it's a bit hard to provide you good quality help, but...
svt said:
Summary:: Using rubber to shield a small area of land from magnetic fields caused by proximity to electricty.

Would using an insulator like rubber tires partly buried in the ground + partly protruding above the land surface to create a continuous perimeter around a piece of land possibly shield the land inside of it
No. Half burying rubber tires in the dirt in the shape of a circle around a piece of land will do absolutely zero to change the magnetic fields (or electric fields or any static electric charge accumulation) in the area. It may qualify you for a certain metalic headwear club, or maybe get you written up in the Crop Circle Weekly Gazette, but it certainly will not change anything EM-field-wise on your property.

We really do want to help you with whatever it is that you want to accomplish. If you could start by answering all of the questions I've asked above, and make it clear what your end goal is, that would be great. Thank you.

Likes Rive, russ_watters, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
Actually, one more question -- would these be steel belted radial tires? That might make a difference... :smile:

No, actually I'm serious about this question. Steel is slightly ferrous (not sure how much for steel belted radial tires), and the steel belts could form conductive loops that could act like shorted turns, depending on frequency and other stuff... :smile:

svt said:
Maybe you should consider a Faraday cage as a shield, rather than tires as insulation, which won't work inside your square. This is a nice one:

prefab-cage-buidlig-inside.png

1. What is dirty electricity and how does it affect us?

Dirty electricity, also known as electrical pollution, refers to high frequency electrical noise or electromagnetic fields that are present in our electrical systems. These can come from various sources such as electronics, appliances, and power lines. Exposure to dirty electricity has been linked to various health issues such as headaches, fatigue, and even cancer.

2. What is grounding and how does it relate to dirty electricity?

Grounding is the process of connecting an electrical system to the earth in order to provide a path for excess electricity to flow into the ground. In the case of dirty electricity, grounding can actually worsen the problem by allowing the high frequency electrical noise to travel through the ground and into our living spaces. This is known as ground current or stray voltage.

3. How can shielding help reduce dirty electricity and ground current?

Shielding involves the use of materials that can block or absorb high frequency electrical noise. By placing these materials around our electrical systems, we can reduce the amount of dirty electricity that is present in our living spaces. Additionally, grounding can be done in a way that directs the excess electricity away from our living spaces and into the ground, reducing the effects of ground current.

4. What are some common materials used for shielding dirty electricity?

Some common materials used for shielding dirty electricity include metal foils, conductive paints, and special fabrics that contain conductive materials. These materials can be placed around electrical wiring, outlets, and appliances to reduce the amount of high frequency electrical noise that is emitted.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to shielding dirty electricity and ground current?

While shielding can be effective in reducing the effects of dirty electricity and ground current, it is important to note that it may not completely eliminate the problem. Additionally, improper installation of shielding materials can actually create new problems such as interference with electronic devices or fire hazards. It is important to consult with a professional and follow proper safety guidelines when implementing shielding methods.