Can You Shift a Circle in the Complex Plane to Center at 2i?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation z=r*e^(i*theta) and its application in finding a circle centered at 2i. The validity of writing z=r*e^(i*theta)+2i is questioned, and it is concluded that it is indeed valid. The conversation also mentions the relationship between the equation and the standard form of a circle in the complex plane.
ericm1234
We typically have z=r*e^(i*theta). But let's say I want a circle centered at 2i.
Is it valid to write z=r*e^(i*theta)+2i ?

I ask this because I don't want to have abs(z-2i)=r; I want to solve for z.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi ericm1234! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
ericm1234 said:
We typically have z=r*e^(i*theta). But let's say I want a circle centered at 2i.
Is it valid to write z=r*e^(i*theta)+2i ?

yes, a circle centre a and radius b is z - a = be, for all values of θ

Awesome.

Note that, taking z= x+ iy, [itex]|z- 2i|= |x+ (y-2)i|= r[/itex] is the same as [itex]\sqrt{x^23+ (y- 2)^2}= r[/itex] so that [itex]x^2+ (y- 2)^2= r^2[/itex], the circle of radius r with center at (0, 2) or 2i in the complex plane.

Yes, it is valid to write z=r*e^(i*theta)+2i in order to shift the center of the circle to 2i. This is known as a translation in complex numbers. However, it is important to note that the equation z=r*e^(i*theta) represents a circle with radius r centered at the origin (0,0), so adding 2i to the equation will shift the center to 2i, but the radius will remain the same. This means that the equation abs(z-2i)=r will still hold true for all points on the circle. If you want to solve for z, you can simply subtract 2i from both sides of the equation to get z=r*e^(i*theta). This will give you the complex numbers that lie on the shifted circle centered at 2i.

Related to Can You Shift a Circle in the Complex Plane to Center at 2i?

1. What is a "complex" circle?

A "complex" circle is a term used to describe a circle that has more than one center point or radius, making it more complicated than a standard circle.

2. How do you shift a complex circle?

To shift a complex circle, you must first identify the center point and radius of each individual circle within the complex circle. Then, you can use basic geometric principles to shift each circle individually, and combine them to create the shifted complex circle.

3. What tools are needed to shift a complex circle?

The tools needed to shift a complex circle include a compass, protractor, ruler, and pencil. These tools will help you accurately identify and measure the center points and radii of the individual circles within the complex circle.

4. Can a complex circle be shifted without changing its shape?

Yes, it is possible to shift a complex circle without changing its overall shape. This can be achieved by ensuring that each individual circle within the complex circle is shifted by the same distance and direction, maintaining the overall proportions of the complex circle.

5. What are some practical applications of shifting a complex circle?

Shifting a complex circle can be useful in various fields such as architecture, engineering, and design. It can be used to create intricate and visually appealing patterns, as well as to accurately represent complex geometric shapes in technical drawings and blueprints.