Shifting from aircraft maintenance to designing, is it possible?

In summary: for the reply. so in summary, it is possible to progress from being an aircraft maintenace engineer or technician to become a designer like thermodynamicist, propulsion, aerodynamicist, systems engineer etc? yes, there are further study courses that will upgrade the maintenance engineer/technician to a professional engineer.
euler0
is it possible to progress from being aircraft maintenace engineer or technician to become a designer like thermodynamicist, propulsion, aerodynamicist, systems engineer ...etc? i mean is there such a further study courses that will upgrade the maintenance engineer/technician to a professional engineer or they are two separate paths?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure u can. Although no two courses or profession are the same.however, since you are trained technician, you can step up a become a pro-aerodynamics engineer.I must warn,if you maths phobia,its time you get used to it cause there will lots & lots of advance calculations with high degree of precision required.

I would shy away from the word "upgrade"... design work would probably require a straight mechanical and aerospace engineering degree rather than anything that could be considered an extension of maintenance engineer/technician training.

That said, I see no reason why you couldn't be very successful in switching paths. I would think that having hands-on experience would be a definite plus in all respects.

oraclelive said:
Sure u can. Although no two courses or profession are the same.however, since you are trained technician, you can step up a become a pro-aerodynamics engineer.I must warn,if you maths phobia,its time you get used to it cause there will lots & lots of advance calculations with high degree of precision required.

thanks

TMFKAN64 said:
I would shy away from the word "upgrade"... design work would probably require a straight mechanical and aerospace engineering degree rather than anything that could be considered an extension of maintenance engineer/technician training.

That said, I see no reason why you couldn't be very successful in switching paths. I would think that having hands-on experience would be a definite plus in all respects.

thanks for the reply, that's exactly what i was trying to express by saying "upgrade", is there a choice for an "extension" study based on your maintenace certificate that will enable you to get into designing?but it seems to be two separate ways and you have to start from the beining of an aerospace batchelor degree.

Last edited:
The two fields are pretty disparate. Your current knowledge will be useful, especially if you have to interface with people who actually build your designs (which you almost certainly will); however, don't expect it to be very useful in your engineering courses, except for familiarity with certain aircraft terms.

That said, go for it. It's never too late. Just be aware that as an aerospace engineer you will have to be comfortable with partial differential equations, linear algebra, and other advanced mathematics. You'll learn this as part of the degree, but you should at least have a familiarity with basic calculus when you enter the degree program, otherwise you will be held back by prerequisites regarding math.

Angry Citizen said:
The two fields are pretty disparate. Your current knowledge will be useful, especially if you have to interface with people who actually build your designs (which you almost certainly will); however, don't expect it to be very useful in your engineering courses, except for familiarity with certain aircraft terms.

That said, go for it. It's never too late. Just be aware that as an aerospace engineer you will have to be comfortable with partial differential equations, linear algebra, and other advanced mathematics. You'll learn this as part of the degree, but you should at least have a familiarity with basic calculus when you enter the degree program, otherwise you will be held back by prerequisites regarding math.

thanks

Related to Shifting from aircraft maintenance to designing, is it possible?

1. Can someone with a background in aircraft maintenance successfully transition to designing?

Yes, it is certainly possible for someone with a background in aircraft maintenance to make the shift to designing. In fact, many successful aircraft designers have a foundation in maintenance, as it provides valuable hands-on experience with aircraft systems and components.

2. Are there any specific skills or qualifications required to make the transition?

While there are no specific qualifications required, having a strong understanding of aircraft systems and mechanics is beneficial. Additionally, having knowledge of computer-aided design (CAD) software and experience with design principles can also be helpful.

3. Is there a demand for aircraft designers in the industry?

Yes, there is a constant demand for skilled aircraft designers in the industry. As technology advances and aircraft designs evolve, there is a need for designers who can create efficient, safe, and innovative aircraft.

4. Is it necessary to have a degree in engineering or a related field to become an aircraft designer?

While a degree in engineering can be helpful, it is not a requirement to become an aircraft designer. Many successful designers have backgrounds in fields such as aviation maintenance, aerospace technology, or industrial design.

5. What steps can I take to make the transition from aircraft maintenance to designing?

To make the transition from aircraft maintenance to designing, you can start by gaining experience with CAD software and familiarizing yourself with design principles. You can also take courses or workshops in aircraft design, network with professionals in the industry, and seek out internships or entry-level positions in design departments to gain hands-on experience.