SHM and why does the frequency not decrease?

In summary, the conversation discusses the decrease in frequency in a damped harmonic oscillator. The confusion arises because the frequency is expected to decrease due to energy loss, but the mark scheme states that it remains constant. The reason for this is that for a harmonic oscillator, frequency is independent of amplitude. There is also a question about why only positive peaks decrease, which is not mentioned in the mark scheme. The source provided is a practice set for a physics exam.
Dima Petrukhin
Hello, I don't get it why does the frequency not decrease? As this i assume is damping and frequency must change.
And why do only positive peaks decrease?2 Not sure about equations needed.

3.I thought that as it is damped, Energy is lost as heat. Thus speed decreases, therefore, it takes a longer time to complete an oscillation.Thus, frequency decreases, however, the mark scheme says that it is constant
The part about decreasing peaks is due to damping(I assume) but I do not have a clue why only positive peaks decrease.

Please help, I am very confused. Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 23.43.48.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 23.43.48.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 473
  • Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 23.43.56.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 23.43.56.png
    5 KB · Views: 450
  • Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 23.53.20.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 23.53.20.png
    17 KB · Views: 448
Physics news on Phys.org
Why would the frequency decrease? For a harmonic oscillator frequency is independent of amplitude.

Orodruin said:
Why would the frequency decrease? For a harmonic oscillator frequency is independent of amplitude.
thanks for your reply.
can you please help me with the 2 bit? why only +ve peaks decrease?

Dima Petrukhin said:
... only +ve peaks decrease?
Where are you getting this?

What is SHM and how does it work?

SHM stands for Simple Harmonic Motion, which is a type of motion where an object moves back and forth in a regular pattern. This motion is caused by a restoring force that always acts towards a central equilibrium point.

What are some common examples of SHM?

Some common examples of SHM include a pendulum swinging back and forth, a mass on a spring bouncing up and down, and a tuning fork vibrating.

Why does the frequency of SHM not decrease?

The frequency of SHM does not decrease because the restoring force is always present and acts towards the equilibrium point. This force causes the object to oscillate at a constant rate, resulting in a consistent frequency.

How is the frequency of SHM determined?

The frequency of SHM is determined by the mass of the object, the strength of the restoring force, and the distance the object is displaced from the equilibrium point.

What factors can affect the frequency of SHM?

The frequency of SHM can be affected by changes in the mass, the strength of the restoring force, or the displacement of the object from the equilibrium point. Additionally, external factors such as air resistance or friction can also affect the frequency of SHM.