SHM Find amplitude from ω and x

In summary, the conversation is about simple harmonic motion and its relevance to a problem involving a spring and amplitude. The concept of equilibrium in relation to SHM is discussed, and the final length of the spring when it reaches equilibrium is calculated using the formula x=mg/k. The difference between the calculated length of 25cm and the expected answer of 65cm is then addressed.
dahoom102
Homework Statement
A spring with a natural length 40 cm and a spring constant of 400 N/m is hung vertically with a 10 kg mass attached to the end. Assuming the spring's mass is negligible, what will be the final length of the spring when it reaches equilibrium?
Relevant Equations
x=A*cos(ωt)

x=A at equilibrium

ω=sqrt(k/m)
Hi,

I have no idea what formula to use while given these values, basically, it fits no formula. Any thing could help?

Many thanks in advance

Correct answer is 65

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the relevance of SHM to this problem?

PeroK said:
What is the relevance of SHM to this problem?
It came in a simple harmonic motion quiz so it should be relevant i guess also its about a spring and amplitude

dahoom102 said:
It came in a simple harmonic motion quiz so it should be relevant i guess also its about a spring and amplitude
What is "equilibrium" in relation to SHM?

dahoom102 said:
Assuming the spring's mass is negligible, what will be the final length of the spring when it reaches equilibrium?

PeroK said:
What is "equilibrium" in relation to SHM?
It is the point at which a body exhibiting SHM oscillates between

dahoom102 said:
It is the point at which a body exhibiting SHM oscillates between
Why not calculate that then?

PeroK said:
Why not calculate that then?
Ok but i am still unable to grasp how is this going to help

mg=kx

x=98/400=0.245m

dahoom102 said:
Ok but i am still unable to grasp how is this going to help

mg=kx

x=98/400=0.245m
That looks about right.

Let's call it ##25cm##. What's the difference between ##25cm## and the ##65cm## that the answer is supposed to be?

PeroK said:
Let's call it ##25cm##. What's the difference between ##25cm## and the ##65cm## that the answer is supposed to be?
Ohhhhh i see now! Thanks a ton PeroK for your time!

Likes PeroK

1. What is SHM?

SHM stands for Simple Harmonic Motion, which is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium and acts in the opposite direction of the displacement.

2. How do you find the amplitude from ω and x?

The amplitude is the maximum displacement from equilibrium in SHM. To find it, you can use the equation A = x_max/ω, where x_max is the maximum displacement and ω is the angular frequency.

3. Can the amplitude be negative?

Yes, the amplitude can be negative if the motion starts from a negative displacement and oscillates around the equilibrium point.

4. What is the relationship between amplitude and energy in SHM?

The amplitude and energy are directly proportional in SHM. This means that a larger amplitude corresponds to a greater amount of energy in the system.

5. How does the amplitude affect the period of SHM?

The amplitude does not affect the period of SHM. The period is solely determined by the mass and the spring constant of the system, and is given by the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where m is the mass and k is the spring constant.