Shooting an arrow through the spokes of a turning wheel

In summary, the conversation discussed the speed and length of an arrow passing through the spokes of a wheel. The calculations were done to determine the time and velocity needed for the arrow to pass through without being hit by a spoke. The final result was 7.28 m/s, but it was noted that the position of the wheel could affect the outcome.
Ursa
Homework Statement
The wheel in the figure has eight equally spaced spokes and a radius of 22 cm. It is mounted on a fixed axle and is spinning at 3.5 rev/s. You want to shoot a 26-cm-long arrow parallel to this axle and through the wheel without hitting any of the spokes. Assume that the arrow and the spokes are very thin. What minimum speed must the arrow have?
Relevant Equations
\theta - \theta_0 = \frac {1}{ 2} ( \omega_0 +\omega) t
x-x_0 = \frac {1}{2} (v_0+v)t
r=22 cm = 0.022 m 3.5 rev/s L_arrow = 26 cm= 0.026 m

first I got the speed in rad $$ 3.5* \frac {2 \pi}{0.022}= 999.6 m/s $$
from there I tried to determine the time the arrow had to pass through the spokes, 1/8 th of the wheel.
$$ \frac {2 \pi}{0.022} * \frac {1}{0.8} = 35.7 rad $$
inputting these in ##\theta - \theta_0 = \frac {1}{ 2} ( \omega_0 +\omega) t ##
$$ 35.7 = \frac {1}{2} (999.6+999.6)t $$
$$ t= \frac {35.7} {999.6} = 0.0357 s$$
then I took the length of the arrow as \Delta x
$$\Delta x = \frac {1}{2} (v_0+v)t$$
$$0.026 = \frac {1}{2} (v_0+v)* 0.0357$$
$$v= \frac {0.026} {\frac {1}{2} 0.0357} = 1.456 $$

now that I have written it down I think I forgot that the 1.456 m/s was (v_0 +v) and had it as my final answer v.
so would dividing that by 2 be the correct velocity of the arrow? 0.728 m/s?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-15 at 17-29-10 NWP Assessment Player UI Application.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-15 at 17-29-10 NWP Assessment Player UI Application.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are making things hard on yourself by doing a lot of unnecessary intermediate computations.

Assume that the arrow enters the wheel just behind a spoke. How much would the wheel need to turn before the arrow is hit by the second spoke?

Orodruin said:
You are making things hard on yourself by doing a lot of unnecessary intermediate computations.

Assume that the arrow enters the wheel just behind a spoke. How much would the wheel need to turn before the arrow is hit by the second spoke?
it would turn 1/8th of a rotation

I did ##\frac {1}{3.5} * \frac {1}{8}## before and also got ## 0.0357 s## for the arrow to pass through.
I did the difficult version because I thought I may have done it wrong the first time when I did it this way.

Ursa said:

I did ##\frac {1}{3.5} * \frac {1}{8}## before and also got ## 0.0357 s## for the arrow to pass through.
I did the difficult version because I thought I may have done it wrong the first time when I did it this way.
To be perfectly frank, your approach in the OP just looks weird and confused to me. For example, it is unclear to me what your 35.7 rad is. It is certainly not the rotation needed for the wheel to turn between spokes (which must be an eighth of 2pi, which is pi/4 < 1 rad).

Ursa said:

I did 13.5∗18 before and also got 0.0357s for the arrow to pass through.
This is correct. So, given that the arrow is 26 cm long, how fast does it need to travel to pass through without being hit?

And 22 cm is 0.22 m!
However: think if you need it

Likes Ursa
Orodruin said:
To be perfectly frank, your approach in the OP just looks weird and confused to me. For example, it is unclear to me what your 35.7 rad is. It is certainly not the rotation needed for the wheel to turn between spokes (which must be an eighth of 2pi, which is pi/4 < 1 rad).This is correct. So, given that the arrow is 26 cm long, how fast does it need to travel to pass through without being hit?
##\Delta x = vt## (for a=0) so ##0.26 m/ 0.0357 s = 7.28 m/s##

Likes BvU
Ursa said:
##\Delta x = vt## (for a=0) so ##0.26 m/ 0.0357 s = 7.28 m/s##
Consider the number of significant digits in your result. Otherwise yes.

Depends on the position of the wheel when the arrow hits the plane of the spokes.

If it enters just before the next spoke, the answer is infinity!

(Just in a silly mood which some people may not appreciate, judging from past history.)

1. How does the arrow stay in the wheel after being shot?

The arrow stays in the wheel due to the principle of inertia. When the arrow is shot through the spokes of the turning wheel, it continues to move in a straight line due to its initial velocity. The spokes of the wheel provide enough support for the arrow to stay in place as it moves with the wheel.

2. Why does the arrow not break when shot through the spokes of the wheel?

The arrow does not break because of its shape and design. Arrows are typically made with materials that are strong and flexible, such as wood or carbon fiber. This allows the arrow to bend and flex as it passes through the spokes of the wheel without breaking.

3. How does the speed of the turning wheel affect the trajectory of the arrow?

The speed of the turning wheel does not affect the trajectory of the arrow. This is because the arrow maintains its initial velocity and direction after being shot. However, the speed of the wheel can affect the position of the arrow as it moves with the wheel.

4. What factors determine the accuracy of shooting an arrow through the spokes of a turning wheel?

The accuracy of shooting an arrow through the spokes of a turning wheel depends on several factors. These include the skill of the archer, the stability of the wheel, the speed and direction of the arrow, and the distance between the archer and the wheel. Any slight variation in these factors can affect the accuracy of the shot.

5. Is shooting an arrow through the spokes of a turning wheel dangerous?

Yes, shooting an arrow through the spokes of a turning wheel can be dangerous if not done properly. It requires a high level of skill and precision from the archer to ensure that the arrow does not hit the wheel or any other objects. It is important to follow safety precautions and have proper training before attempting this feat.