Short half life nuclear homogenous or non homogenous Poisson?

In summary, the speaker has completed an experiment to measure the decay rate of an isotope and is now trying to estimate uncertainties. They are questioning whether their setup accurately models a Poisson distribution due to a significant drop-off in decay rate over the measurement timeframe. They are seeking advice on whether they are measuring a non-homogenous or homogenous Poisson process and if they are understanding the concept correctly. The speaker also mentions the use of Gaussian and Poisson error statistics depending on the number of events counted in each window, and references a previous experiment that required both Poisson and binomial statistics due to a finite number of radioactive atoms.
Beam me down
I have completed an experiment to measure the decay rate of an isotope, and I am trying to estimate uncertainties. The half life is 40 seconds, with decays counted over a 15 second period (with many of these 10 second periods for a total of 6 minutes of recordings)

However in more detailed readings I think my set up may not model a Poisson distribution. As the rate of decay is clearly will drop off significantly over the measurement timeframe. So am I measuring a non-homogenous Poisson process or homogenous, or am I completely missing the understanding of non-homogenous Poisson?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, my confusions are doing my head in.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that if you are counting thousands of events in each 15 second period, then the standard Gaussian error curve is sufficient. If you are counting less than say 10 events in each window, then Poisson error statistics are needed. I am aware of one experiment where there were estimated roughly 40 or 50 rare radioactive atoms created, so they not only had to use Poisson counting statistics, but also the binomial statistics as well because of the finite number of radioactive atoms..

Based on your description, it seems like you may be measuring a non-homogenous Poisson process. This is because the decay rate is not constant over time, but instead drops off significantly over the measurement timeframe. A homogenous Poisson process assumes a constant rate of decay, so it may not accurately model your experiment.

In order to estimate uncertainties, it may be helpful to consider the non-homogenous nature of your data. This could involve adjusting your calculations to account for the changing decay rate over time. It may also be useful to consult with an expert or conduct further research on non-homogenous Poisson processes to better understand how they apply to your experiment.

Overall, it's important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of your experimental setup and data in order to accurately estimate uncertainties and draw conclusions from your results. I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

Related to Short half life nuclear homogenous or non homogenous Poisson?

What is a short half life?

A short half life refers to the amount of time it takes for half of a radioactive substance to decay into a stable form. In nuclear physics, it is often used to measure the rate of radioactive decay.

What is a homogenous Poisson distribution?

A homogenous Poisson distribution is a mathematical model used to describe the random occurrence of events over a given time or space. It is often used in nuclear physics to describe the probability of radioactive decay.

What is a non-homogenous Poisson distribution?

A non-homogenous Poisson distribution is a variation of the homogenous Poisson distribution that takes into account varying rates of event occurrence over time or space. In nuclear physics, it can be used to model changes in the rate of radioactive decay.

How is a short half life nuclear homogenous Poisson distribution used in research?

A short half life nuclear homogenous Poisson distribution is often used in research to analyze and predict the behavior of radioactive substances. It can provide valuable insights into the rate of decay and help researchers understand the properties and behavior of these substances.

What are the limitations of using a short half life nuclear homogenous Poisson distribution?

While a short half life nuclear homogenous Poisson distribution is a useful tool in research, it has limitations. It assumes a constant rate of decay, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it does not take into account external factors that may affect the rate of decay, such as temperature or pressure.