Shortest Distance Homework: Find Origin to Curve x^2+2xy+y^2=150

In summary, the problem is finding the shortest distance from the origin to the curve x^2+2xy+y^2=150. The suggested method is to use Lagrange's multiplier with the distance squared function and the given constraint. After setting up the equations and solving for x and y, there are two solutions that have the same distance from the origin. The distance can be computed to find the answer.
Air

Homework Statement

Find the shortest distance from the origin to the curve [tex]x^2+2xy+y^2=150[/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}[/tex], [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}[/tex]

3. The problem I'm occurring
I'm not sure how to start is thus can't attempt it. I would have used the Lagrange theory but that would give the max point and I also don't have the constraint so cannot use it. For a start, can someone suggest how I would start. Any methods? I have to use partial differentiation.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use Lagrange's multiplier method to find maxima as well as minima. Apply it to the distance squared function f(x,y)=x^2+y^2 with the constraint x^2+2xy+y^2=150.

I have reached a point of confusion...

[tex]f(x,y) = x^2+y^2[/tex]
[tex]g(x,y) = x^2+2xy+y^2=150[/tex]

[tex]\mathrm{Equation 1: }2x - \lambda (2x + 2y) = 0 \implies \lambda = \frac{2x}{2x+2y}[/tex]
[tex]\mathrm{Equation 2: }2y - \lambda (2x + 2y) = 0 \rightarrow 2y - \left( \frac{2x}{2x+2y}\right) (2x + 2y ) = 0 \rightarrow 2x+2y = 0 \implies y=x[/tex]

Into constraint equation to solve for value of [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]y[/tex].
[tex]\therefore y^2 + 2y^2 y^2 = 150 \implies y = \pm \sqrt{\frac{150}{4}} = x[/tex]

Which gives many solutions. How can I saw which is the shortest distance?

Well, you got two solutions: [tex](\sqrt{150}/2,\sqrt{150}/2)[/tex] and [tex](-\sqrt{150}/2,-\sqrt{150}/2)[/tex]. Both have the same distance from the origin, compute it and you have the answer.

Related to Shortest Distance Homework: Find Origin to Curve x^2+2xy+y^2=150

1. How do I find the shortest distance from the origin to the curve x^2+2xy+y^2=150?

To find the shortest distance from the origin to the curve, we can use the formula d = √(x^2 + y^2), where x and y are the coordinates of the point on the curve. We can also use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the distance.

2. What is the equation for the curve x^2+2xy+y^2=150?

The equation x^2+2xy+y^2=150 represents a parabola with its vertex at the origin and a constant value of 150. This can also be written as (x+y)^2 = 150.

3. How do I find the coordinates of the point on the curve that is closest to the origin?

To find the coordinates of the point on the curve that is closest to the origin, we can use the derivative of the equation x^2+2xy+y^2=150. We can set the derivative equal to 0 and solve for x and y to find the coordinates of the closest point.

4. Can I use a graphing calculator to find the shortest distance from the origin to the curve?

Yes, you can use a graphing calculator to find the shortest distance from the origin to the curve. Simply graph the equation x^2+2xy+y^2=150 and use the distance formula to find the shortest distance from the origin to any point on the curve.

5. Is there a specific method I should use to solve this problem?

There are multiple methods you can use to solve this problem, including using the distance formula, the Pythagorean theorem, or by finding the coordinates of the closest point using the derivative. The method you choose may depend on your personal preference and familiarity with the different methods.