Shortest possible pulse duration

In summary: To get this, you need to solve for ##\Delta \omega##. The wavelength of the laser you're given is the only parameter you have, so from that, you can determine the spectrum width (in terms of wavelength) and then use that to find the shortest possible duration using the time bandwidth product.
ATY
Hey guys,
I really need your help.
I got the following task:
"Sketch the output spectrum of a mode-locked Ti-Sapphire laser (assuming eg. gaussian shape) and calculate the shortest possible pulse duration by Fourier transformation."
So the spectrum is gauss shaped but I have no clue how to get the shortest possible pulse duration.
I thought about starting with something like
c363b850c5.jpg
and get something that I can use with the time bandwidth product
5be9dd0593.jpg
But the first equation does not contain the mode-locking thing and I have no idea how to calculate the stuff.

I am an absolute beginner without any knowledge about lasers (and bad english).
I hope that somebody understands my question and is able to help me.
Have a nice day
ATY

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you can use the time bandwidth product analysis by fixing the spectrum width ##\Delta \omega##. This way you can express the shortest duration ##\Delta t_{min}## in terms of ##\Delta \omega##. Just that, which parameters are you given?

The only parameter we got are the wavelength of the laser. From 690nm to 1080nm. this would give me the spectrum width, but how do I get the shortest duration if I have to use the Fourier transformation ?

ATY said:
From 690nm to 1080nm
So, is this the full width at half maximum (FWHM) in terms of wavelength?

Not sure. The text says:
"With properly chosen optics, the TI:Sa laser is in general capable of delivering pulsesin the wavelength reange from 690nm to 1080nm and pulse durations down to 6fs"
The task itself does not give any information about he laser and I just took this from the text a few sites before the task.

In general, there are a number of ways to characterize the width of a localized function, as for the case of the spectrum of a laser it's usually defined as the FWHM of the power spectrum. Anyway, whatever measure of the widths used, the widths in time and frequency domain always satisfy the relation ##\Delta \omega \Delta t \geq K## where ##K## is a constant that depends on the definition of the widths and the particular shapes of the functions in time and frequency domains. For a Gaussian functions in frequency (and also in time) along with FWHM to describe the widths, ##K=0.441##. From this, it should be straightforward to determine ##\Delta t_{min}##.

you are right, but the task requires to get the shortest possible amount by Fourier transformation
ATY said:
calculate the shortest possible pulse duration by Fourier transformation

ATY said:
but the task requires to get the shortest possible amount by Fourier transformation
It asks for ##\Delta t_{min}##, which is the shortest pulse duration.

1. What is the shortest possible pulse duration?

The shortest possible pulse duration is the amount of time it takes for a pulse of light or other electromagnetic radiation to travel through a material or medium. This can range from femtoseconds (10^-15 seconds) to attoseconds (10^-18 seconds).

2. Why is shortest possible pulse duration important?

The shortest possible pulse duration is important in many scientific and technological applications. It allows for the study and manipulation of ultrafast processes, such as chemical reactions and electronic transitions, and enables the development of high-speed communication and imaging technologies.

3. How is shortest possible pulse duration measured?

The shortest possible pulse duration is typically measured using a technique called autocorrelation, which involves splitting a pulse into two identical copies and then overlapping them to measure the time it takes for the two pulses to interfere with each other. This can also be done using specialized equipment such as streak cameras and frequency-resolved optical gating (FROG) devices.

4. What factors affect the shortest possible pulse duration?

Several factors can affect the shortest possible pulse duration, including the type of laser used, the properties of the medium through which the pulse travels, and the techniques used to generate and manipulate the pulse. The shortest possible pulse duration is also limited by the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics.

5. How is the shortest possible pulse duration being improved?

Scientists are continuously working to improve the shortest possible pulse duration by developing new laser technologies, finding ways to overcome the limitations of different materials and media, and refining measurement techniques. Some recent advancements include the use of ultrafast lasers and nonlinear optics to generate even shorter pulses, and the development of new materials with enhanced nonlinear optical properties.