What is the force exerted by a laser pulse on a target?

In summary, the question asks for an estimate of the force exerted by a laser pulse of visible spectrum frequency and duration ##5\times 10^{−15}## s, containing approximately ##10^{19}## photons, on a target. Two possible approaches are suggested: calculating the total energy of the photons and then converting it to force, or using the change in momentum over time to calculate force. The latter approach is recommended, with the reminder to divide the total momentum by the pulse duration to get the force.
Kara386

Homework Statement

A target is hit by a laser pulse. The frequency of the pulse is in the visible spectrum, it has duration ##5\times 10^{−15}## s and it contains approximately ##10^{19}## photons. Estimate the force exerted by the pulse on the target, given the pulse is completely absorbed by the target.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think a reasonable wavelength in the visible spectrum would be ##550##nm. I can calculate the total energy of the photons that hit the target by using ##E = \frac{hc}{\lambda}## and then multiplying by ##10^{19}##. I get ##3.6\times 10^{-19}##J, and don't know where to go from there.

Alternatively I suppose I could use force = change in momentum / change in time. Then I'd use ##p = \hbar k## where ##k = \frac{2\pi}{\lambda}##. If that's the correct approach, to get the total change in momentum I just multiply the momentum expression by ##10^{19}##, right?

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
That will give you the total momentum. You'll then have to convert it to a force.

Likes Kara386
DrClaude said:
That will give you the total momentum. You'll then have to convert it to a force.
By dividing the total momentum by the duration of the pulse?

Kara386 said:
By dividing the total momentum by the duration of the pulse?
Yes.

Likes Kara386
haruspex said:
Yes.
Brilliant, thanks! :)

1. What is force exerted by a laser?

The force exerted by a laser is the amount of pressure or push that a laser beam exerts on an object when it makes contact with it. This force is caused by the transfer of momentum from the photons in the laser beam to the object.

2. How is the force exerted by a laser measured?

The force exerted by a laser can be measured using a device called a laser force sensor. This sensor uses a photodiode to detect the change in momentum of the laser beam as it reflects off an object, which can then be converted into a force measurement.

3. What factors affect the force exerted by a laser?

The force exerted by a laser can be affected by several factors, including the power or intensity of the laser beam, the wavelength of the laser, the distance between the laser and the object, and the reflectivity or absorbance of the object's surface.

4. Can the force exerted by a laser be dangerous?

Yes, the force exerted by a laser can be dangerous if it is strong enough to cause damage to living tissue or sensitive materials. It is important to follow proper safety precautions when working with lasers to avoid potential harm.

5. How is the force exerted by a laser used in scientific research?

The force exerted by a laser is used in many areas of scientific research, such as in optical tweezers to manipulate microscopic particles, in laser ablation to remove material from a surface, and in laser cooling to slow down and trap atoms. It is also used in experiments to study the properties of light and the behavior of matter at the microscopic level.